removing old bath

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by delplumb, Apr 6, 2006.

1. delplumb

delplumb New Member

does anyone know of any tricks for removing an old bath and replacing with a new one without disrupting the tiles.
    and what about replacing the new one.
    i wonit have anyway of securing the L shaped brackets to the wall because of the existing tiles.

2. You need to cut holes in back of old bath to undo the L brackets...

Slice the silcon, remove waste & cut pipes to taps (use flexi to connect on new)

adjust or remove feet, so nothing supporting bath, push bath down to free from tiles, slide out.

slide in new, adjust feet to push up onto tiles.

fit flexis to pipes, and the waste. reseal with mastic

no worries ;)

3. tgs

tgs New Member

Release the seal round the bath edge so that it is free and unscrew any fixings. Remove the waste and connectors to the taps. The loosen the feet to drop the bath a bit and this should allow you to manouvre it out.

4. delplumb

delplumb New Member

sounds good spike.
    i'm a bit worried about the bath not being supported too well to the wall because i won't be using the L brackets to secure it to the wall.

5. Angela

Angela New Member

asking for trouble doing this. it'll never be fitted as well as the last.

you'll be looking back in a while and wondering why you didn't do the job from scratch. start again.

6. delplumb

delplumb New Member

if it was my own bathroom i would definetly start from scratch.
    it's for a customer.

7. Angela

Angela New Member

cool, make sure they know the risks, cause it could come out of YOUR pocket

8. plummit

plummit New Member

Reckon that you are right boskoman,
    If fitting acrylic baths, support is required along the length of the entire bath where it meets the wall/ walls.

9. glynmitch

glynmitch New Member

Try screwing a piece of timber to the wall prior to fitting new bath. This will support the weight of the bath. Also put a good bed of No Nails/Mega Grip along the timber and this will make sure it doesn't move.

Glyn

10. Angela

Angela New Member

best of luck mate.

I'd love to know how you got on.

11. tgs

tgs New Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the brackets if the bath is in an alcove, you just need to secure the bath against the long wall. I usually use long screws with penny washers which locate in the slot under the bath. The holes and plugs can usually be drilled after the bath is in place. The main thing is that the bath is secure and level on its feet. The wall fixings are there to stop it moving about when people get in and out.

Sealing against the tiles is another problem. If the gap size is reasonably small then you can put a layer of silicon round the vertical edge and then another layer on top as the finish seal. This gives you two chances of stopping the water.

12. I did the same thing, i used a good size beed of mastic on bath side wall against the wall, to ensure it stuck on, and screwed the front feet to the floor to further prevent movement..

If worried about support (as good as two L brackets), mark & pre prepare the wall each end for some wooden supports, and fit your way to screw these in to support the bath edge from each end

13. plummit

plummit New Member

Glynmitch, was trying to say put a batton on to support, entire bath !. My fault didnt write it too well !!.

14. glynmitch

glynmitch New Member

Correct ;)