Removing old copper pipes

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Pete387, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Pete387

Pete387 New Member

Morning all

I moved into a Victorian terrace and after 2 weeks removing the 4 layers of woodchip wallpaper (nightmare) I’ve uncovered a wooden box shaft covering 6 copper pipes heading from under the stairs to the loft where a redundant and disconnected water tank is. Assuming gas and water? House now has a combi now downstairs. All pipes are cut and capped in the loft and some are cut under the stairs as well. A couple have earthing wires attached under the stairs.

If they’re all capped at the ends in the loft does that mean they’re empty and redundant? Can I just cut and remove from the house so I no longer have to have them trailing the wall?

For some reason it won’t let me upload a picture here. Says media too large

Many thanks!
    Pete

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The pipes may still contain water.
    Be very careful.
    One could be a capped off expansion pipe that’s still connected to the hot water system.
    One could be a water main that served the loft.
    Pictures may help.

3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Only If you can trace these pipes back to be sure they are not live. These are obviously not Victorian as they would have been lead or steel, so these were probably added later. I had an issue when we tried to remove all lead pipes. Seemingly dead, we removed most but one was live via some connection buried in some wall. Luckily the plumber had not cut it flush so managed to put a lead lock.

suggest you take the cap off one at a time, check if it’s live and if dead cut back, if live recap

4. Pete387

Pete387 New Member

Thanks both this is very helpful. I’ll trace them back, identify which ones are defiantly dead at both ends. And for the others will remove cap at a time, perhaps cut back and re-cap at the bottom if still live.