Removing old flooring

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Stompfrog, May 9, 2022.

1. Stompfrog

Stompfrog New Member

I am trying to remove some flooring in my hallway and it is a slow and tedious job.

The vinyl tiles are fairly easy to rip up but there is a layer of something else that is pretty hard between the tiles and the concrete.

I was wondering if anyone can tell from the photo what it is? Adhesive? Levelling compound? Both?

Any ideas on the best products/tools to remove it?

Many thanks!

[​IMG]

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Certainly tile adhesive. Can be a pig to get up: I have a tile lifting chisel for the sds which is brilliant for the tile but not a lot of help in this situation if the adhesive is stuck better to the concrete than the tile.

Just done our kitchen. Cursed SWMBO for waiting 2 years after full strip out before wanting new tiles but with so many obstacles I didn't want to be too destructive so I resorted to self levelling to basically flatten the surface to make tiling easier. Could have just used more adhesive but the SF SLC was a lot cheaper and made tiling easier. Floor wound up about 4mm higher

3. Stompfrog

Stompfrog New Member

Yeh it is certainly stuck to the concrete well.

I think I might need to hire one of these bad boys!

[​IMG]

4. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

Yip I had same problem, I attacked mine with the sds chisel as the tile adhesive was well stuck, I ended up having to use self levelling compound to repair the gouges I had made.