Removing old gloss from smooth red brick

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BMC2000, Feb 6, 2016.

1. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Hi

Any tips or recommended products from removing old dribbles and smears of gloss from where the previous painter made a balls up when painting downpipes? He must have been blind and hopefully he wasn't paid, however, it's my making good task as the new house owner.

Previously used a wire brush attachment on a cordless drill - a bit too abrasive I thought, made the bricks @ shade lighter and they stand out a bit.

Ideally I'd like to use a proven chemical and scrape off, any recommendations?

2. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Try 'Nitromors' paint stripper

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep as above and then scrape / jet wash off Alternatively try a high power jet wash.

If the surface was dirty before they painted you may be lucky and it will have stuck to that rather than the brick. You will need one more powerful than the ones just used to clean cars.

4. proby

proby Active Member

A cheap way , go to one of the pound shops some sell spray tins of graffiti remover it works quite well. But whatever you use you will probably have a clean patch where the paint was.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I have previously removed by scraping off with an old chisel, then use a brass wire brush to finish. You can sometimes disguise the 'rubbed' brickwork with some patio/brick sealer like waterseal, applied once or twice as needed.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have been using a product to remove multiple lays of masonry paint from stonework as well as small areas of brick. The product is quite expensive, but it doses get right back to the original surface.

The product is called peelaway there are 2 version but would think that the 7 version is the best. The product is applied using a spreader, then a special blanket is cut an applied, this helps the product from drying out. And can be left for a while to get right back.

Will need to wear gloves as is very caustic (marigolds). And keep away from plastics (guttering) etc, but yours are most likely to be cast or ali.

I don't think an abrasive or scratching method is the best use, as it will remove the thin protective layer of coating from the bricks, which could lead to quicker deterioration.

7. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Cheers guys.

I wasn't bowled over with Nitromors last time I used it to strip a staircase, maybe I didn't follow the instructions as well as I should but I remember reverting to elbow grease and sharp tools over it.

Jitender, where did you get the Peelaway stuff?

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I don't think nitromoors is as good as it used to be, probably to do with less VOCs. Nice to smell though [​IMG]

I originally brought the 2 tester pot set from here, as wasn't sure the paint may contain lead. There's a video too.

Brought a 15kg tub last year as am planning to slowly remove all the paint from the stone cills and headers.

BMC2000 likes this.
  9. Simon74

Simon74 Member

I use a product called Paint Panther followed by jet washing. I had to clean up and repoint the front of a bungalow which had been painted and it worked a treat.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Interesting, always worth knowing about alternative products, so we can try them next time I have a need

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Paint Panther is sold at Dulux Decorator Centers in a 500mm or 1l tin.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Started doing some paint removal from stone work, the new tub came with the blankets and netraliser in bottle in the tub.

Applied in thick coat on stonework, will leave for another 1-2 days before lifting.

Last years application removed the majority of paint, but left small areas, most have suffered weather so last remnants just flaking off.

Need to wear washing up gloves as is very aggressive, as contents contain caustic soda and sodium hydroxide as well as others.

Kept washing hands regularly.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nitromors stripper isn't a patch on the old product
    It's difficult getting methylene chloride & other industrial stripper unless your in the trade, etc.

14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

no it isn't. ebay is your friend :rolleyes:

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's my source.:)