Removing Paint From Around uPVC Window.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Peter Goodchild, Oct 14, 2021.

1. How can I remove the old layers of gloss paint without messing up the uPVC window?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

What is your finished effect to be, wood stain?

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A paint scraper with new blade would be a start.

4. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

If you want to completely strip it, I have had a lot of success with Home Strip. It is supposed to be safe to use on UPVC but I would mask it off anyway.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Peel Tec
    From brewers or crown centres maybe. I order online but those trade centers stock.

You can use upvc solvent cleaner from sf and diy ect but no scourer just micro fibre cloth. Will burn skin so go carful.
    Glass scraper will work but go easy as hard to use without catching the upvc plastic.

Peter Goodchild likes this.
  6. I have a Bahco paint stripper that I used sometime back but blade is completely blunt, seem to remember didn't do a very good job anyway. Screwfix only had one that seemed man enough for the task, so I bought it and a 5 pack of spare blades, just tried it out on one of the windows that has not had the uPVC units fited yet, works a treat, quick and easy.... thanks for tip, appreciated. For the frames not fitted with uPVC units yet, will use hot air gun and pair shavehooks I bought yesterday from B&Q.

Attached Files:

• A.JPG
      A.JPG
      File size:
      142.7 KB
      Views:
    • B.JPG
      B.JPG
      File size:
      181.9 KB
      Views:
    • C.JPG
      C.JPG
      File size:
      161.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Hi, I have some Peelaway 7 that I used on outside lintels, masonry paint, did a pretty good job. I asked Peelaway if ok to use near uPVC, said OK with, some types of PVC.
    Home Strip says fine with uPVC. So will shop around for best price and get some. Also being prudent I will mask up uPVC just to be 100% safe. Would one particular type of masking tape be most suitable for this task?
    Cheers.

8. OK thanks for that. I was a bit concerned if got any, sort of overspray on the actual uPVC, even though is not originally surface painted it might bite into the uPVC somehow.

9. sanded down, primer, then top coat, have bought quality brushes foam rollers, and quality primer, top coat, Dulux Trade from Brewers to try to get as nice a finish as possible, might get nicer if use foam rollers, rather than brush on

10. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

I think I have used fairly big standard stuff when I have done similar.

If you do end up using Home Strip, my experience is that it works well but it needs a liberal application, covering up with plastic sheet to keep it wet (I use those thin plastic dustsheets), and plenty of patience. Leave overnight if possible. Scoring the paint helps it along too. Might need a couple of goes depending on number of layers. I have found that any final residue comes off with one of those aluminium pan scourers dipped in the stripper.

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Peel Tec is safe. Read up on it.

Upvc cleaner you need to be carful with as can damage with over use.

Scraper is also risky but it depends how much paint and where it is.

12. OK I'm thinking might use scraper to get at areas can use it on safely, then either Home Strip or Peel Tec.

13. I'm concerned about the Home Strip or Peel Tec seeping through the masking tape and attacking, messing up the silicon/mastic bond on the uPVC seeblue arrows in attached photos.
    Any advice anyone, appreciated.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

• A.JPG
      A.JPG
      File size:
      96.2 KB
      Views:
    • B.JPG
      B.JPG
      File size:
      83.7 KB
      Views:
  14. " Scraper is also risky but it depends how much paint and where it is." As I say thinking of using scraper where safe to use but also thought of taping plastic ruler in position to help safeguard as well or strip of MDF, or metal ruler, whatever.

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Read data sheet and see if silicone is effected

16. OK thanks, will also ask installer, what they used, type of silicone, mastic whatever.