removing paint from copper pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by d438a1, Jan 12, 2008.

1. d438a1

d438a1 Member

I'm trying to fit 2 new isolation valves to install my new sink vanity unit but there seems to be at least 3 or 4 layers of paint on the pipes.

Any tips/tricks to remove the paint as I do not have a blow torch which I guess might work?

Thanks

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Put the isolation valve on loosely without the olive, tap gently with a hammer, the valve will slide down and the nut will scrape the paint off. Done it in my own home and it worked a treat.

3. screwhard

screwhard New Member

A stanly knife and a good abrasive cloth,no easy way i,m afraid

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Rotary cutters often remove enough paint and then you can tap the fitting gently as described. Usually works. If not get a blowlamp - messy and smelly though.

5. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

pump pliers, grip the pipe loosely and turn to and fro, it will loosen the paint and give a start to the sandpapering method.

6. towser

towser New Member

pump pliers, stanley knife, then one of those stainless steel pan scourers does the trick.

7. smithp60

smithp60 New Member

Put your blow torch on it for about 30 seconds, paint will wipe off with a cloth.

8. doitall

doitall New Member

Paint remover, comes in cans and bottles

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

smart-**** ;)

10. d438a1

d438a1 Member

thanks for the replies.

I scraped a a fair but off, enough so i could get the nut and olive on. I have tightened it up as much as i just about can but theres a tiny eeny winy leak, is that because of the paint of should i have used pfte tape, or shall i try tighten it even more?

thanks

11. doitall

doitall New Member

Jointing compound on the olive :O

12. micko1

micko1 New Member

this as got to be a wind up

13. mikefly

mikefly New Member

I would recommend you use ptfe. Take the nut off and tape around the olive (the side that slips into the fitting) then tighten on. (do not overtighten this cuts into the ptfe and breaks the seal you have made). Also make sure the fitting has made a full "slip" into the fitting.

14. Clarts

Clarts New Member

I'd sand blast it...

15. screwhard

screwhard New Member

i, get a plumber

16. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Use jointing compound. Not PTFE.

17. screwhard

screwhard New Member

Got to disagree with Captain,there is absolutley nothing wrong with using PTFE on any compression joints.

18. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

There is nothing actually WRONG with PTFE on olives, and I know some people like it BUT for DIY'ers it is bad advice. They either put too much on, can't get access properly or not enough. A bit of jet blue, LSX or ordinary joint compound is preferable.

19. screwhard

screwhard New Member

Like PTFE,we love it.It stops my eggs sticking to the pan

20. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Like PTFE,we love it.It stops my eggs sticking to the
    pan

Your advice sucks!

I just tried it and got a load of PTFE mixed up with my egg yolk, my solicitor wants to speak to yours.