Removing Redundant Pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Adrian Murray, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Adrian Murray

Adrian Murray New Member

Hello,

Hoping for some help please.
    Have these two 22mm copper pipes which have been cut and capped off where the boiler was previously. House was like this when we got it so don’t have the history I’m afraid.
    Anyways, have pulled the floor up upstairs and you can see the pipes going all the way across.

Here’s the problem; in cutting the floor to remove it, I knicked one of the pipes and I’m paranoid it’s leaking gas or something. Nothing seems to be coming out, no smell, no hissing. I even put the the Carbon Monoxide alarm right by it but nothing happened. I now thing these are the old heating feed and return pipes.

Now, because the nick in the pipe is right where I cut the floor I’d prefer not to have to cut the floor back any further to repair if I don’t have to.

Can anyone tell me whether I can just leave as is, fill with pipe putty, repair with solder joint or cut and remove. If I remove, then I can remove more/all when I get access to the rest of the pipe run, potentially in a year or so when I come to rip the floor up in the adjoining room which is a tiled bathroom.

Thanks in advance all.

Adrian

Attached Files:

2. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Complete guess at this stage but they could be the old pipes from the cws tank. A hot to the old cylinder and the cold to the bathroom taps.
    A carbon monoxide alarm doesn’t detect gas leaks. It detects carbon monoxide from incorrectly burning fuels.
    If you could trace those pipes further up we could maybe advise better.

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

I agree.
    Did the house originally have a cold water header tank in the loft, but is now on mains pressure throughout? If so, then as Mike suggests, the two 22mm pipes would have been the outlets from the tank to the immersion heater and to the cold taps. If this is the case they can be removed and recycled.

4. Adrian Murray

Adrian Murray New Member

Thanks.

Yes, there is a disused header tank in the loft. I can’t trace the pipes any further as they cross the room, under the wall and into the bathroom at which point I would have to remove bath, tiled floor and floor boards...not something I fancy doing.

I could go in the loft, hammer on any header pipe and get a helper to tell me if it resonates at the other end???

As they seem redundant, I assume they were capped as good practice when the old boiler removed?

5. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

The pipes could still be Connected but isolated by gate valves so capped off also.

6. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

Could you not just undo that compression fitting slightly and see if water comes out? If live just nip it back up. If empty remove at your leisure or just ignore them.

teabreak likes this.
  7. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

As long as you can trace out the gas supply in your house (I doubt those are gas) do as above with the compression joint.
    If they turn out to be live water and in use drain cut out and repair, if it is on a straight section one of these might be your solution to avoid cutting into the pipe, it will still need draining though.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/flowflex-copper-click-fix-pipe-repair-patch-22mm/837fh

8. Adrian Murray

Adrian Murray New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    In the end I hired someone off MyBuilder to come round, cut and cap off for less than the cost of a torch and solder kit.