Removing Redundant sockets

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by benny boy, Dec 1, 2003.

1. benny boy

benny boy New Member

I have recently moved into a house and have alot of unswitched round pin sockets that I want to remove. What is the best way to do this?

2. chtechie

chtechie Member

You'll need to find out what fuse supplies each & every one of these sockets. The regs have changed and you may find these sockets are actually wired in to your lighting circuits - In that case it's likely to be a rewire. It could be money well spent to get a professional to do a survey / provide a periodic inspection report. Did your house survey not make any comment / advise an inspection before you purchased ?

3. supersparky

supersparky New Member

they may also be wired with lead if they are old rounpin type,....please tell me your wireing is pvc,,,,,,

BR

4. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

High chances that the wiring needs replacing in its entirety - it is safer to get a NICEIC electrician to test it, and it is likely to be all in need of a full replacement - also the service main cable should be checked - it is likely to be 60a instead of the present 100a.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

MB

I really wish you would stop insisting on NICEIC electricians to do tests/rewires etc etc when posting in the forum. As I have said before..any COMPETENT electrician can do the job.

RSS

6. supersparky

supersparky New Member

what is this damn love afairwith nic?!!!!!! nic are no mor compitant!

BR

7. benny boy

benny boy New Member

Hi all, thanks for your help so far, just to clarify the round pin sockets I refer to are not the old fashioned type that were around before the modern 3 pin came in, but one likes these http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=59778&ts=53909 the house was built in 1985 so all the wiring is modern - or at least not lead like Supersparky suggested

8. supersparky

supersparky New Member

in that case; find supply, remove it and then you can do what you like with em! make sure circuit is dead though

BR

9. Abe

Abe New Member

I have seen these sort of sockets used for lighting (floor standing and table lamps), usually with remote wall switches. I assume you would have noticed if there were extra light switches by the doors that didn't seem to do anything.

10. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I wonder if MB works for NICEIC in some sort of administrative capacity?

I'm pretty sure, judging by some of the things he's said here, that he isn't an NICEIC registered sparky himself.