Removing Router Bits

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by kathekas, Aug 25, 2006.

1. kathekas

kathekas Member

Hi

I have a DeWalt router.

I need to change the bit. I slacken the collar, but I cannot get the bit out.

Please can anyone offer any suggestions.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

You need to keep undoing it about two full turnes, it will then "pop" the collet loose.

Jason

3. Jim

Jim Guest

Common problem, you will probably end up hammering it out with a screwdriver, not ideal but sometimes the only way.

4. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

I used to have an Elu (same as DeWalt) with the same problem. A piece of shaped hardwood hit with a hammer was my preferred method of extraction, but it was never easy.

Got a Hitachi now and while I may need to give the spanner a tap with the hammer to loosen the nut initially, the bits come out easy.

5. mj

mj Guest

On elu/dewalt 1/2" routers, the collet (if fitted properly!)
    clips into the tightening nut. When loosening the nut, a couple of extra turns withdraws the router bit enough to pull out by hand. 20 years of using elu/dewalt routers & never had it fail yet!

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

somtimes if i get router bit jambing
    i take a flat screwdrive position it between the top of the collet nut and under the cutter well clear of the cutting edge
    unwind the collet untill you can get a bit of leverage on the cutter
    but dont do this if the bit dosnt "click" loose easily as you dont want to dammage the threads on the collet

sometimes a bit off wood squarly held on top and a gentle tap with a hammer will release

big all

7. Little Ern

Little Ern New Member

jason b is spot on.
    I have the Dewalt 625 and on undoing the collet with the spanner it becomes possible to turn the collar by hand but the bit is still held tight. Just keep undoing the collar by hand until resistance is felt again than use the spanner again.
    No need for screwdrivers etc.

Cheers,
    L.E.

8. soaringjock

soaringjock New Member

make sure you insert the collet into the nut securely,(you will hear it click),before putting it in the router.

9. mailee

mailee New Member

Is it me or does everyone seem to have problems removing router bits. i have never had a problem in all the time I have owned one and that is a lot of years now! All you have to do as has been stated is keep loosening the collet until you feel the second resistance once over this the cutter will almost fall out as has been stated on here. Can't see what the probem is really??

10. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeeelllooo little ern :D:D:D

of course your right about dewalt;)

was talking about other routers [usualy cheaper]

i have several cheap routers set up for specific tasks like 6 and 9mm square rebates stop chamfers ect

and as you know the collet should never be left tight as the metal will form a bond with the cutter so you need to break the bond before the cutter will come loose :):)

big all

11. Nutty Oak

Nutty Oak Member

Spot on about the DeWalt collets. Now, I don't know whether it's in the manual or not, but I didn't know about the collet ring 'snapping' into the nut. It was only when I had to get a new armeture for my router, cos I'd chuffed the thread on the spindle trying to get the collet nut on without the collet ring being snapped in properly, that the repair eng showed me how to do it.

12. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

I can assure any doubters out there that the old Elu I had used to really stick.

If I was using a 6mm or 10mm cutter in the half inch collet you could take the nut right off and still had to beat the collet out with a hammer.

13. Little Ern

Little Ern New Member

Sorry Big All,
    Wasn't having a pop about using screw drivers.
    I only have experience of the DW625 so can only comment on those. I need more routers myself (at least a goood hand held one 1/4"?) so I may be back for advice.

Cheers,
    L.E.