Removing wall behind the chimney

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jacopo, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Jacopo

Jacopo Member

Hello, I am closing the chimney in my living room (not removing), but I would like to remove the brick wall behind it so that I can replace it with a stud wall to allow me to install a pocket door

I have some pictures from my neighbour's house, which is basically the same as mine; they removed the chimney first (but also removed the wall afterwards)

Obviously the wall I want to remove doesn't support anything (I can place my hand over it), I'm just asking if I should worry about disturbing the chimney and what's the best method of removing it (I ws thinking of removing brick by brick using a chisel on an SDS drill)

Attached Files:

Attached Files:

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Not an expert but it must support the rest of the chimney above up to the stack on the roof surely?

3. Jacopo

Jacopo Member

Yes, the chimney does, but the wall that I want to remove doesn't have anything above it; the chimmey is staying

teabreak likes this.
  4. dray

dray Active Member

Not an expert either but the chimney breast will be tied into that wall and taking that away may impact on the stability of the remaining chimney breast going up and supporting the stack. Personally, I would invest in Structural engineer calcs for my own peace of mind before doing it.

5. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Hard to be sure from a photo, but the wall looks to be a backing wall for the thrown up infill around the flue, so removing it may well weaken the structure. Someone needs to do an onsite inspection in my opinion.