Removing wallpaper

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by markysparky, Nov 6, 2005.

1. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Evening all.

Just popped over from the leccy's forum to ask what's the best way of removing a small section of wallpaper and put back on again.

A customer of mine wants extra sockets put in but doesn't want the decorating disturbed.

I will only need to pull back about a foot from the bottom, chase, plaster and put back on!

So is there any magic trick? or is the customer extracting urine in his request?

Thanks!!

2. trustedman

trustedman New Member

taking the you know what in my opinion. You could try wetting the paper and peeling gently but you-ll probably rip it and then when you come to stick it back down it probably wont match up due to the streching.

Can't you chase in the room behind and then drill through??

3. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Hi Tim,

Managed to get at a couple just as you suggested and another one coming through from a store cupboard.

The remaining ones are on the perimeter walls so cannot do with these.

4. paintycait

paintycait New Member

I do quite a lot of stupid wee jobs that involve this kind of faff level with paper and then do things like paint the pattern in where damage has occurred etc. mainly because we have maintenance contracts with hotels that look for the line of least resistance and don't mind the labour intensive nature as long as they can continue to let the room...however, I'm not a paperer so I'll be interested to hear what the paperers have to say.

IMHO this is possible - a bit fiddly - but if the wall has been sized before papering then you might have a relatively easy job ahead of you, then again, you will have to warn your clients that it might all go PT if the wallpaper doesn't strip OK. You have no idea how well the paper has been hung...so it's a bit of an unfair thing to ask you to do, but charge time and line and CYAWP so that it's not your fault if this doesn't work.

You could wet the strip of the paper that you want to lift, this might not do anything if it's a heavy vinyl and at the same time if it's a soft paper it may leave it vulnerable to easy damage.

If you can carefully lift a corner of the paper and get some moisture under the paper then this will probably be the safest start, I would lift a corner, dampen, ease back, apply more moisture (to the back), ease back, apply more moisture, ease back and so on till you have the clearance that you need.
    To stick it back I'd be tempted to use something that was least likely to stretch the paper too much, like border adhesive. Paste the paper, right up to the point where it is adhered still and leave a few minutes to soak, then use either a switcher or a cauker to smooth out any air bubbles and press it to the surface, then wipe away any glue that has got on the outside of the paper. Chances are the paper will stretch anyway so it will not butt, but with a bit of luck it should shrink back into place...this is pure luck though.

If it is a dark paper and you manage to get it stripped to the level you want, I would be tempted to paint a section of the wall in the colour of the paper where the seam will lie, just so if the paper shrinks and there's a gap, that it's not an obvious one.

Personally, I reckon that by the time you have faffed about with this and you will be on time and line - won't you - and you won't have promised them it'll be OK - will you - they probably would be better getting a decorator in to do this...preferably the one who hung the wallpaper becuase then if s/he hasn't sized the wall, all the nasty problems that arise from that short cut will be his/her responsibility.

Cait

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Hi Tim,

Managed to get at a couple just as you suggested and
    another one coming through from a store cupboard.

The remaining ones are on the perimeter walls so
    cannot do with these.

Hope you protected the cables on the other side of the wall properly!!!!!

What you need is a steamer with a small nozzle.

Start at the skirting board and blast steam all the way along the bottom edge of the piece to be moved. Take a flat edge(like thin scraper) and try to peel a line off along the bottom.

Quickest way to rip it, is to pull it diagonally.

Then using(as paintycait said) a series of wetting and pulling (all the way along) but with the steam nozzle up under the pasted paper, steady as she goes.

Remember to clean off all brick/plaster dust, then plaster, dry and paste the wall to stick the paper back down.

The old wallpaper will not need soaking, as it should be the correct size to fit back into where it came from.

Mr. Handyandy - really

6. trustedman

trustedman New Member

I always like to see cables tacked around the outside of a house ;)

7. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Pre part p i did a fair bit of electrical including faf like this.

Disconect the steamer hose from the head and start at the bottom working up with a palet knife or flexible filling knife.

When ree pasting add a bit of pva in to reduce shrinkage.

Charge acordingly

Paul

8. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Thanks for the comments folks! some useful info there I must say :)

Handy Andy! I didn't actually protect the the cables, I brought them surface and left about 8 metres of slack and tacked the cable against the wall so it can be used as an improvised washing line. And the kids can use as a skipping rope if they want. ;)

Hope this answers your question. :)

Mr Markysparky - not really

9. Mr. Handyandy

So just how did you protect the cables, the ones that are chased into the wall on the opposite side to the sockets, where it is not evident that there may be cables there ?

Mr. Handyandy - really

10. markysparky

markysparky New Member

3 things you can do. Have them no more than 6 inches from the corner, bury them 50mm into the wall or have them in earthed metal conduit.

I had them 6 inches from the corner. I'll take you and show you if the job if your that bothered about it!

11. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

steel conduit if iwas doing it - chasing 50mm will weaken the blockwork.

12. Mr. Handyandy

3 things you can do. Have them no more than 6 inches
    from the corner, bury them 50mm into the wall or have
    them in earthed metal conduit.

I had them 6 inches from the corner. I'll take you
    and show you if the job if your that bothered about
    it!

Hey.

"Hope you protected the cables on the other side of the wall properly!!!!!"

It was only a passing comment in a thread about wallpaper.

I didn't really think you'd left it for a washing line and a skipping rope.

For one thing, either one or the other would be at the wrong height.

Mr. Handyandy - really

13. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Very true gardm1nt. But if the wall is dob and dab or if the plaster is thick enough you can get away with it sometimes.

14. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Alright HA. Apoligies for the snide comment. **** day that's all! :(