Renault Clio immobiliser??

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by markysparky, Aug 9, 2005.

1. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Evening chaps,

My apprientice who has a Renault Clio diesel P reg is having a spot of bother as his immobiliser is starting to play up.

The question is, is it possible to remove the immobiliser altogether? or would he have to get the lot replaced?

The immobiliser to my knowledge works of a chip in the key which goes to a coil behind the steering wheel which is read by some sort of gizmo which controls the fuel pump.

He's already spent a fortune on the car already on previous misfortunes and this is really getting him down as a new immobiliser will set him back another £600.

And besides. it also ensures that he get's to work on time as well! ;)

Cheers

2. dpm

dpm New Member

Not sure about that exact year of car, but there's plenty of Renault diesels that had a coded module on top of the stop solenoid on the injection pump. That module can be removed (security screws and or rivets need drilling out...)and disconnected, just run an ignition switched 12v to the solenoid directly.

Now if it's a later model with an electronic pump you're out of luck AFAIK, as the immo function is within the ECU on them...

3. markysparky

markysparky New Member

dpm, it is a 96/97 P reg. Cheers mate!

4. markysparky

markysparky New Member

It's also a diesel :)

5. Legal Sparrow

Legal Sparrow New Member

Tell him to make a note of which way round the key goes in.

For my car if I insert the key so the locking buttons face away from me, it never starts. Tother way round 180 degrees it almost always start.

I figured it's something to do with where exactly in the key the chip is.

Could be a similar problem for him. If it is it could be worthwhile getting a new key, this may solve the problem.

However you normally need a special master key to program a new one. Not sure on a renault, how it done.

6. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. DPM you were spot on. He managed to bypass the immobilizer the way you said.

I now have a happy apprentice now who gets to work on time.

Thanks again :)

7. dpm

dpm New Member

8. jon62

jon62 New Member

Nice one, sorted.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

You've sorted the problem ,so this is a"by the way." With reference to Legal Eagles posting, we have the same problem with a work's Kangoo van. Sometimes it just will not start,so we have to take the key out,turn it over & then no problem. I haven't a clue why, but neither has the local Renault dealer.