Rendering onto plywood

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by dean4174, Oct 21, 2008.

1. dean4174

dean4174 New Member

Been to look at a job the other day and im not sure how to go about it. The job is rendering a dorma on the roof of a house, the dorma is constructed of wood and lined on the outside with plywood. Any suggestions on rendering it? Is krend the way to go?

2. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

you will wire it with stainless steel mesh? eh?

3. dean4174

dean4174 New Member

Will i need to prime the board or use a damp proof membrane before apllying the wire mesh?

4. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

if i were you old mate i would tell them to get a lead man in, it would work out cheaper all round.

5. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

And ask them how to spell Dormer

6. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Dean. You need to know what you are doing.

When this was done on our loft conversion, the plasterer first stapled a sheet of Tyvek (synthetic roofing felt) over the ply. Then he stapled - securely - SS mesh over the surface, and rendered on to this (make sure you fit the mesh the right way up - one way will 'catch' the render, the other way will allow it to slop off!)

I must say I was surprised by this method - the render does not bond to the actual ply, but is practically a floating surface.

Applied in two layers, like 'normal' rendering (scratch and top).

becker davis likes this.
  7. dean4174

dean4174 New Member

Thanks for the replys sammy toaster and devil's advocate, Will give it a go with the mesh, I was thinking of using the self adehsive rendering mesh instead of the wire mesh, any thoughts on this?

8. dean4174

dean4174 New Member

Cheers burtie, thats one way of getting your post count up i guess.

9. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi Dean.

I have to say I've never heard of self adhesive rendering mesh.

Although the render will be effectively 'self-supporting', the staples clearly play and important part in how sturdy the whole thing is. I don;t think I'd be happy with self-adhesive stuff - but I know nothing about it!

Also, it would mean you wouldn't be applying a layer of Tyvek first?

(Ask on the Builders' Forum!)

10. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

count up i guess.

And it's Bertie :^O
    And it's I

Only kidding mate

11. valebuilding

valebuilding New Member

12. becker davis

becker davis New Member

Spot on just what i needed to find out ...cheers

13. Yeah, but I don't know if I'd trust anything he says.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rendered plywood:(, it will come back to haunt you.:rolleyes:
    Ideally it would be better to cover ply with Knauf Aquapanel Exterior Cement board, render can then be applied directly to it.

15. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Many LAs now want riblath over 25 thick battens to provide an airgap rather than just eml.

I would use screws with big washers to fix eml if you can use it, over breather membrane as above, all the weight of the render is going to hang off them

Len234 likes this.