Rendering outhouse

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Rr68163, Jul 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Rr68163

Rr68163 New Member

Hi All,

I have a small outhouse made up of a single brick and concrete blocks which has a dpc (not sure if it is high enough) and I am getting damp on the along bottom one of side of the wall. (At the moment I have no guttering or drainage)

A friend advised me to have the outside rendered. From what I understand it would need 2 coats? If I want it to repel water do both coats need to be silicone? After a base coat do I need to apply mesh and then a 2nd coat?

I am planning to have guttering done after this.

I am planning in getting someone to do his, but I was to understand what is the right way of completing the job (I have no DIY experience)

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Before even thinking about render the lack of guttering needs addressing, as this may well solve your issue. One doesn’t normally breach a dpc with rendering, so it would do little to stop water ingress at ground level.

3. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

As said any rendering will be above the dpc anyway. What sort of roof does it have at present, is there any overhang and can you see where the water off the roof drains to, does any go directly down the walls? Pictures may help. Guttering alone may solve the problem, personally I would sort that out and see if it solves the problem.
    Also you mention your not sure if dpc is high enough, what is distance between ground level and any visible dpc?