Renew very old circuit board

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by srv99, May 19, 2023.

1. srv99

srv99 New Member

I'm looking to buy an ex-council flat with this circuit board. Will this be difficult?

I've never seen such a 'vintage' board so I'm not sure what to think.

Attached Files:

2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

It's quite likely that it will need a rewire, have you had a electrical test done ?,

Ind spark likes this.
  3. srv99

srv99 New Member

no - i'm looking to buy this flat. Its a 60s concrete tower block.

A builder friend looked at a socket and thought they were old because 'it has a red wire'

Will this type of circuit board be more expensive to rewire because it's so old?

4. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

If the wiring is original (1960s) its gonna need a rewire.
    Just because its red and black does not automatically mean rewire.

Sparkielev and srv99 like this.
  5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Loadmaster dorman smith were good boards in their day, but not DIN rail so only thing that will fit is loadmaster, however likely you will want a new all RCBO board anyway with SPD so hardly matters what make or model, you will in order to add anything need to change the board.

Around 1966 there was a big change, after then lights have earths, and mainly PVC cables, before then likely to find rubber cables and no earth to lights, I was still using those boards when working on the building of Sizewell 'B' so early 90's still in use.

It would be prudent to get an EICR (electrical installation condition report) done.

The board can be still used with owner occupier, but to get a satisfactory result to rent may be a problem, an EICR is a personal opinion of the inspector, so you can ask him first if he will pass the board or not.

I still had fuses in this house when I moved in, within 6 months new CU fitted, no sweat, what I expected to do, the problem arises when you want to rent, and you need an EICR before you can rent it out.

I do not see lack of RCD protection with a TN property as potentially dangerous, but I would with a TT property, as the water and gas pipes are now mainly plastic, so with a TT the earth rod on its own is not good enough.

But there could be other issues, so prudent to get an EICR done.

srv99 likes this.
  6. srv99

srv99 New Member

Very helpful. i should i assume it will need rewiring. Get it over with

Will this be a more difficult wire job than usual? I won't need a specialty electrician to work with it?

Does the building being concrete make a big difference?

7. Ind spark

It could be very easy, if its wired in conduit you can rewire through the existing conduits/ maybe.

If not it could be a pain.

Best bet is as others have advised get a condition report done before you buy.

srv99 likes this.
  8. srv99

srv99 New Member

I'll take that advice... thanks!

9. Ind spark

Just reading the label below the breakers, never seen that before, must of been when breakers first came about.
    Interesting.

10. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

I would wage a bet it is a complete rewire that you will need. These concrete flats can be a total nightmare to rewire as the runs of existing conduit is rarely where you need it especially if you need sockets or lights in different places to where the existing are already in place. Not a nice job to do and will be very messy so if you do buy it make sure it is the very first job that you do to modernise it.

11. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Pandoras box, who knows what it contains, maybe it hides mineral insulated cables ;)

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

If that is the case, then you really do have much bigger potential problems than just the electrics.
    Has the tower block been clad in the last 20 years ? If it has, walk away now, it dosn't matter how cheap it is now to buy................................it will cost you the rest of your life to pay for it and you will never be able to sell it.

Sparkielev and bright_Spark like this.
  13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I would drop the ceiling a few inches and run cables and any pipework in that it will end up a far neater job

ElecCEng and Ind spark like this.
  14. bright_Spark

Only problem I foresee with doing that is if he has a pet giraffe and it could cause problems with head room. Seen that a lot.

Ind spark likes this.
  15. Ind spark

Any decent spark/builder would ask the giraffe question before lowering the ceiling.

bright_Spark likes this.
  16. bright_Spark

True but there are cowboys out there that wouldnt.

Ind spark likes this.
  17. Ind spark

You never fail to amaze me with your comments, always thinking outside the box.

bright_Spark likes this.
  18. bright_Spark

Its the way I am, you can call it genius and many do, I just have had so much experience that it just comes naturaly.

Ind spark likes this.
  19. Ind spark

Not sure what I'd call it:D, dont fancy Bornmuff the weathers changed.

bright_Spark likes this.
  20. bright_Spark

Its Alcatraz next time, 6 week stint in solitary confinement.

Ind spark likes this.