Renewing water main

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bodgitandlegit, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Just dug a trench through the garden, ready for new alkathene water pipe. My mate has offered me some 3 inch underground ducting to protect the new pipe. I reckon it will fill with rainwater and flood into the underfloor space as the garden slopes towards the house. Has anybody any experience of this ducting and how to stop it fillng with water? Otherwise we go back to pea gravel as usual.

2. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

no need for a duct unless you plan on replacing it again ?? gravel or sand will suffice

3. assume you don't really mean alcathene (thats old) its all MDPE (mid density polyethelene) today usually blue. the only ducting (or sleeve) you need is from garden into house (through footings) (bylaw53)So in worse case it could be withdrawn easily.

4. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

byelaws were all repealed when the 1999 water regs came in

5. i know
    but sleeving is still a requirement for all pipes through walls etc.

6. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

DAB, your just a smug little fokker,like those germain plains

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

This is pretty much standard for any supply authority.

8. imran_

imran_ New Member

You fill it with what the Water co tell you to!

9. Many thanks for the help you've offered. I think the pipe I've got is certainly blue MDPE rather than alkathene, but that's what my mate calls it and who am I to argue? Thanks Sinewave, that's really helpful, although the water meter man already looked at my trench and said it would be deep enough at 600mm. That will get me underneath the footing. What's the best stuff for the duct to take the pipe through into the house. Does everybody use 100mm dia or can I get away with something smaller. Lastly what would be the best stuff to seal a 25mm pipe into a 100mm duct - that's a lot of silicone!

10. most builders today (around here) use soil pipe. but it don't need to be that big as long as its sleeved and can be withdrawn so 32mm would do

11. in the old days (perhaps even today ) you could buy the sleeve pre-formed ready to go. we used to call them hockey sticks cus they look like em. bit like a toilet flush pipe (hey thats an idea)

12. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

bit of rainwater downpipe filled with expanding foam ;)

13. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

have a look at 81100, this would be perfect, as said foam the end after lagging the pipe

14. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

You can still buy hockey sticks available from pipe center etc.much better then bit of soil pipe its preformed with correct radius so no stress for the pipe thats being sleeved

15. thanks fot that info tony
    I did wonder if they were still about.
    mostly do only heating now adays.

16. Thank you very much for all the help. Project abandoned for a few days as it's been hissing down here in the southwest for the last few days. Cheers Les