Renewing water main

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bodgitandlegit, Mar 21, 2010.

  1. Just dug a trench through the garden, ready for new alkathene water pipe. My mate has offered me some 3 inch underground ducting to protect the new pipe. I reckon it will fill with rainwater and flood into the underfloor space as the garden slopes towards the house. Has anybody any experience of this ducting and how to stop it fillng with water? Otherwise we go back to pea gravel as usual.
  2. doing a bit

    doing a bit New Member

    no need for a duct unless you plan on replacing it again ?? gravel or sand will suffice
  3. assume you don't really mean alcathene (thats old) its all MDPE (mid density polyethelene) today usually blue. the only ducting (or sleeve) you need is from garden into house (through footings) (bylaw53)So in worse case it could be withdrawn easily.
  4. doing a bit

    doing a bit New Member

    byelaws were all repealed when the 1999 water regs came in
  5. i know
    but sleeving is still a requirement for all pipes through walls etc.
  6. spongeblob

    spongeblob New Member

    DAB, your just a smug little fokker,like those germain plains
  7. sinewave

    sinewave Screwfix Select

    This is pretty much standard for any supply authority.
  8. imran_

    imran_ New Member

    You fill it with what the Water co tell you to!
  9. Many thanks for the help you've offered. I think the pipe I've got is certainly blue MDPE rather than alkathene, but that's what my mate calls it and who am I to argue? Thanks Sinewave, that's really helpful, although the water meter man already looked at my trench and said it would be deep enough at 600mm. That will get me underneath the footing. What's the best stuff for the duct to take the pipe through into the house. Does everybody use 100mm dia or can I get away with something smaller. Lastly what would be the best stuff to seal a 25mm pipe into a 100mm duct - that's a lot of silicone!
  10. most builders today (around here) use soil pipe. but it don't need to be that big as long as its sleeved and can be withdrawn so 32mm would do
  11. in the old days (perhaps even today ) you could buy the sleeve pre-formed ready to go. we used to call them hockey sticks cus they look like em. bit like a toilet flush pipe (hey thats an idea)
  12. Captain Leaky

    Captain Leaky New Member

    bit of rainwater downpipe filled with expanding foam ;)
  13. doing a bit

    doing a bit New Member

    have a look at 81100, this would be perfect, as said foam the end after lagging the pipe
  14. Tony Soprano

    Tony Soprano New Member

    You can still buy hockey sticks available from pipe center etc.much better then bit of soil pipe its preformed with correct radius so no stress for the pipe thats being sleeved
  15. thanks fot that info tony
    I did wonder if they were still about.
    mostly do only heating now adays.
  16. Thank you very much for all the help. Project abandoned for a few days as it's been hissing down here in the southwest for the last few days. Cheers Les

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice