Renovating plaster

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Hoskie, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

HI guys. Can anyone tell me the process used for using renovating plaster? Ie once you have applied it to the wall what finishing plaster should be used and roughly how long can you leave it before skimming it? Never used it before so any help or tips wuold be great.

Cheers.

2. dj.

dj. New Member

is it limelite renovating, is it thistle drycoat, is it lime mortar, or is it sand & cement render with waterproof additive?
    fart and give us a clue eh!!!

3. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Hi Dj.

Its limelite produced by Tarmac. Its the only product that the spec will allow on the job that I am doing.

Also Im having difficulty finding a supplier in the leeds bradford area.

4. dj.

dj. New Member

5. dj.

dj. New Member

and if you do a search for travis perkins on google and you will find a local supplier but i found this one in bradford........

is what that should say!! and i havn't even had a beer yet.

6. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Cheers for that Dj really appreciate it. I searched google for travis perkins earlier, must of missed it will look again. One other thing if you could help? I am assuming that it is much the same as applying a render or bonding coat that you just use a finishing plaster over the top once dried?

Cheers again.

7. dj.

dj. New Member

yeah it's much the same as appling render, the backing coat you could actually mix in a cement mixer, it comes out fluffier, wet down the walls and off you go. it is a 24 hour set so you skim the following day, if you leave it longer it gets more difficult to skim.
    a word of caution make sure you are mixing the backing coat in a well vented area because it really does get to your throat and you end up with awful snot.
    mix the skim coat much the same as thistle except it has an initial set a few minutes after mixing, don't panic, it knocks back up again.
    as always you can usually find me loitering at........

http://www.trustedtradesmen.com/forum/default.asp

so if you need any more advice please don't hesitate to give me a shout.

good luck
    dj.

8. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Cheers again Dj. Not looking forward to the work Im on my own mixing and spreading and if it sets that quick then I reccon Im ****** lol.

9. dj.

dj. New Member

no it doesn't actually set, it is an initial set so just knock it about your board and it comes right back to a workable consistency.

10. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Cheers. Just one more thing then I promise not to hound you agaim! Does it have the same working time as a normal finishing plaster and if you use it how much is it costing you? Cant believe its £15.00 a bag from TP which by the way the one in Bradford is just round the corner from the estate Im working on so thats good news.

11. dj.

dj. New Member

it works a bit like carlite finish used to whereas you go over it straight away with a wet trowel and then you can leave it a while. you will have to check your pm's at tt to find out how to do it cheaper. ;)