Renovating victorian fireplace

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Solidair, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Solidair

Solidair Member

Hello,

I've recently uncovered this old range fireplace (pic attached). Hoping to renovate it. Wondering what you would recommend as the my best next steps?

I've removed several bags of soot there that was mildly damp. Should I be able to take out the later infill bricks now or do I need structural assessment for this type of thing anyway before proceeding just to check nothing else has changed since the (now defunct) gas one was added?

Thinking depending on costs and how much I can do, I'll set it up for either a log burner, just vent it for airflow and use it for deep shelves or if it's massively expensive then I may have to just make the front level and re-cover for now. Hoping not to do that last one if I can manage some of the work myself or a mix of experts and then me for any jobs I can do.

Cheers again for any help!

IMG_0664_web.gif IMG_0665_web.gif

2. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

My next step would be to remove all the inside bulk out and open it up to original size.

Solidair likes this.
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One tip, if you are removing any more plaster, change the bit from a point to a chisel blade so it won't damage the face of the stone.

When you have pulled out all the infil, get a HETAS certified firm to come out and assess your chimney and give you options for the fire and flue.

Solidair, KIAB and Dam0n like this.
  4. Solidair

Solidair Member

Thanks @sospan and @Dam0n - will look for someone HETAS certified!

Forgive my complete lack of knowledge here but is it likely to be safe for me to just remove the infill or should I get the structure verified first aswell?

I'm not sure how long the infill has been there, presumably 50 years or so of 130. The defunct gas pipes to the right hand side have led to some of the some of the stone being cut at the front to run them but presumably these are fairly large chunks of stone that are fairly deep behind that point?

Just slightly nervous above doing anything that could affect the floor above but I have no experience of this type of thing bar hearing horror stories of an acquaintance who took a chimney breast out and accidentally dropped the floor above in the middle :eek:

Thank you both again!

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

being a little afraid / cautious is not a bad thing as chimneys as your acquaintance has found can be unpredictable.

If I was doing it, I would remove the "red" section first and then the blue and use the bottom section to hold back the debris while you scoop it out of the opening

upload_2019-6-22_14-58-34.png

And then work around the opening removing the section above and below the opening.

Where the pipes have been cut into the stone work there should be sufficient behind the grove to hold up the stone work. There is one small section to the top right of the blue section which looks a bit loose but should be ok to work around.

Solidair likes this.
  6. Solidair

Solidair Member

Thank you so much again (and for the diagram), I'll let you know I get on!

7. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Good luck. It should all come out relatively easily. Make sure you have a mask on!

Let us know how you get on.