Repainting what seems like emulsion on a door.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Oct 29, 2018.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Member

Hi folks,

I am repainting an internal bedroom panel door. It looks as if it was previously painted on one side with emulsion using a broom!!

I've removed the door and sanded it all over, in some locations the coat of emulsion has been sanded through to the underlying paint and through to the panel's hardboard. On areas around the panel recesses I have just roughed the surface by hand. I finished by washing down with sugar soap.

I propose to paint tomorrow morning. I intend to use a couple of coats of water based primer / under sealer to cover up the less-than-ideal surface, de nib (if that is the correct term) and then use an oil based gloss.

I am seeking some confirmation that this is OK. Ideally I would remove all the emulsion, but that is too large a job.

Some advice and opinions would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Steve

2. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

That sounds fine.

3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Go for it. :)

4. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Member

Will do. Thank you for giving me confidence that I am not wasting my time :)

5. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Member

Thank you Chippie244 and Astramax.

Outcome was a great looking finish. All re-hung on Thursday with new door furniture and polished hinges.

It shows up the doors and frames that were previously gloss 'white' and now quite yellow. I'll be doing the remainder bit by bit before Christmas :)

Cheers, Steve

Astramax likes this.