Repair or replace staircase?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MrM, Jun 21, 2018.

1. MrM

MrM Member

So glad I found this forum, heaps of great information here.

Due to decorate the Hall stairs and landing, including new carpet on the stairs shortly.

The stairs at the moment have movement in most steps, there is no creacking (old rusty loose nail) but more the movement of unsecure wood, with dipping and unevenness.

It's a high traffic route in my house and there is (currently) no bannister.

I really would like to make the stairs solid, but underneath it's a cupboard already boarded up and built as an understairs utility room.

Generally speaking, can you repair/replace the wood and fixing in stairs from above, or is access always required below?

I'd like to have a solid job done, so comtemplating getting someone in to come and replace and resecure the stairs to make it as solid as possible.

I'd like to get an idea if this is possible, or if the understairs cupboard is needed to be broken down to allow access underneath?

Thanks in advance.

2. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

It depends! I secured a set of seventies stairs that had shrunk. The house was really warm as well. The treads were fine just creaked a lot. Wedges glue glue block. Removed plaster to get access etc.
    If it's a Victorian terrace take a look at the treads. Clogs must have caused a serious wear problem.
    Safety is Paramount on stairs. I was once one step behind a big lad who fell through dry rotten stairs. Nearly soiled my self.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

For a peace of mind proper job, access to the underside of the stairs will be required. Put up some photos, can have a better look then.

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I can't see how you will repair without getting underneath. It could also be a pig of a job. I had to rebuild the stairs in my edwardian house recently and the treads were secured into the stringers by 3 cut nails each side. I was leaving one stringer in and replacing t'other because of worm. Had to carefully break it all out and grind off the nails in the stringer I was keeping. Having seen photos of cowboy joiners on this forum recently, do make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing!!

5. MrM

MrM Member

Thanks all, the house was build 1930's I believe.

From what you guys are saying the underneath may have to come out and perhaps a rebuild of some steps.

Few snaps of the stairs (and lack of banister!) I'm still in the process of sanding and undercoating (hence the un decorated state)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. John Southcombe

John Southcombe New Member

Look at stairbox

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What difference does that make, unless you're related to the company? They manufacture new, not refurbish old.

8. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

It could be a goer but it may just be a major pain. If every stair is loose then strip off the easiest bit of plaster see if you can fix those convincingly. I say the straight run in the cupboard.

9. MrM

MrM Member

Thanks all, I guess I'm going to get to that conclusion. Would it be worth trying to run some new screws into the stairs that are moving a little to see if that holds them down and stops the squeak?

Or is this all likely to be in vein and its easier to just rip out the understairs and let a professional do a proper job.

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It depends on the number of squeaky treads/loose components, if it's only a couple, pilot drill and countersink three screws through the tread into the riser beneath. Another way is to glue and pin quadrant or scotia mound under the nosing overhang, but if you're getting to this stage itd be best to access the underside and do a proper job.