Repairing concrete garage floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by N3lly, Apr 5, 2020.

1. N3lly

N3lly New Member

Hi. I’m trying to bring an old detached garage back in to use (pre-fab concrete panels, concrete base, probably been up for 40+ years).

There are a couple of but I could use advise on please:

1) Some of the wall panels are not particularly well aligned - can see daylight in places. So I was thinking of squirting some expanding foam in to those ones (three inches from the garage wall is a six foot brick wall, so how’s it looks from the outside isn’t important) and smoothing them off before coating the walls in masonry paint. Does that sound reasonable, or is there a better way to do it?

2) I need to repair the floor. It has some bits that need patching, but it’s 95% sound. I was thinking of filling the cracks with ready-mixed concrete repair stuff to get a level surface, and then coating the whole floor. But I don’t know what to coat it with - it looks like my options are to cover it with a concrete resurfacer, or a two part epoxy coat. The YouTube videos I’ve found are all American, so reference things that aren’t sold to the public over here. I’m not trying to get a showroom finish, just something clean and durable. If anyone can recommend the best way for a DIY’er to repair the floor, is really appreciate it. 3922E7FE-43C5-41D6-81F1-0101EF088844.jpeg C3E6E94C-1640-45AD-A601-1EF52E349F37.jpeg 3922E7FE-43C5-41D6-81F1-0101EF088844.jpeg C3E6E94C-1640-45AD-A601-1EF52E349F37.jpeg

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Use sand and cement for the gaps at four sand one cement, if you dig out the floor area that’s damaged to a couple of inches depth, then you could also use the mortar mix for that too, in both cases prime the areas with SBR first and make the mix semi dry and compact it in. Once gone off, apply KA tanking slurry over both walls and floor, this will seal against dust and provides good damp proof resistance for what you asked.

3. N3lly

N3lly New Member

Thanks, hadn’t even heard of tanking slurry. Does that basically act as a waterproof barrier which I would then paint over, or is that used in place of an epoxy paint (or similar)?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

As far as I know they come in a couple of colours, white and grey being the two I’ve used in the past, so I don’t honestly know if you can paint over them, it’s probably not a situation that occurs very often as anything tanked is normally covered over so you don’t see the slurry anyway. The grey looks pretty decent, certainly good enough for what you’ve enquired about.

5. N3lly

N3lly New Member

Great - just wasn’t sure if it needed to be painted over, and didn’t want to screw it up by missing out a final step! Sounds like that would solve the floor coat and the water ingress issue, thanks.