Repairing Double Glazed Unit

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by wakeywakey, Apr 9, 2021.

1. wakeywakey

wakeywakey Member

ok, so I have a sealed unit 570 x 500 mm, with water running in between the panes of glass. I have taken the unit out of the frame but now I'm stuck as I can't seem to prise away the glass from the seal.

Any hacks on how to do this would be very welcome.

My aim is to renew the seal, is that a possibility at all or do I need a new unit?

2. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

You need a new unit. The units are either sealed in vacuum or with gas, either way not repairable.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

+1, there is no fix, only replacement !

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

It sounds like the OP's problem is not trying to separate the two panes from each other. He/she is trying to remove the double glazed unit from the window frame.
    It seems like the double glazed unit is being held in by security tape which would be used because the glazing units are fitted (and therefore removed) from the outside. In cases like that, the use security tape (double sided sticky tape with foam inbetween to stick the double glazed unit to the frame. You need to get a blade in there to cut the double glazing tape apart. Until that's done, you'll never get the double glazing unit out.

5. wakeywakey

wakeywakey Member

Ok, so i'm a bit confused.
    I had this problem (different window) a few years back and at the time had some builders in doing my bathroom.
    Anyway, I asked them to sort out the window and they seemed to just remove the outer pane, replace with a new one and job done. No condensation since and they only charged me for the pane and labour costs.
    So how come they could fix it?

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

That's sounds a bit odd to be honest, is it possible you misunderstood what they did and they replaced the unit?

They wouldn't be able to remove the outer (or inner) pane in situ and I very much doubt they replaced one pane in a double glazed unit, just about impossible to do. A complete unit for replacement is not actually that expensive, it would have been easier for them to replace the unit, and cheaper; certainly easier.

Just my observation.

7. wakeywakey

wakeywakey Member

No, i already have the unit out of the frame. But now I can't seperate the glass from the seal, but according to some people, that can't be done?

8. cleggie

cleggie Active Member

if its condensating or water in between the 2 panes of the double glazing unit then the seal has gone and is no longer airtight.Only remedy is a new unit

9. Dan Parkinson

Dan Parkinson Active Member

You need a new unit.

10. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

@wakeywakey It can and has been done.......... there is / was a good write up online somewhere that I read with interest a while back.

As to whether it is a sensible option is obviously debatable, with many folk obviously against it or believe it cannot be done.
    I do get the bit about vacuum or gas filled but this is not 'do or die', imo.

Some people are loaded and do not have to consider attempting jobs like this as they can afford to splash the cash whilst some folk have to be thrifty and make do and mend. Some others are just careful with money or just want to have a go anyway.

And if you do do it then however long it lasts will depend partly on how well you clean and seal it, and what the relative humidity is at the time you do it, (hence the vacuum, I believe).

Sharp knife to cut the seal is required. With great care too, obviously.And may also need new spacers and if this is the case then probably not worth it.

New units however will likely cost 'FROM' £90ish, depending on size and not sure but I assume that would include fitting.

11. rogerk101

A 570mm x 500mm would cost me in the region of £13 ... no more than £15.
    Only last week I bought two double glazing units, one was around 800mm x 850mm and the other was about 350mm x 300mm. The two of them together cost me £25.
    On Monday I'll be picking up 4 more units, roughly 350mm x 600mm each and was given a rough quote of £60 for the four of them.
    As such, however keen you are to attempt a repair yourself, it's just not likely to be worth it. By the time you've replaced the spacer bars and bought the mastic you're already paying as much as the fully built up guaranteed double glazing unit made by professionals who do this for a living ... and you haven't even included the risk of breakage, injury, time, etc. into your calculations.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  12. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

@rogerk101 I believe you. However, them prices do sound unbelievably cheap.....

I do not think I could purchase them kinds of sizes for anything like the price you paid.
    Do you mind me asking where you purchased yours, or who from??? as I do need to replace a few of mine.
    I did do a large one when I first moved in but my neighbour did it for me. Was 20 years ago so no idea what I paid him.

I have though included (or at least considered) the risks etc......... Safety is always my first consideration, especially re injury to oneself AND others, time if one has it costs nothing, and breakage....... nothing ventured, nothing gained IMO.

£90 is Cloudy to Clear online 'from' price, mentioned on Absolute 80's.

I'm sure the Op would love to know where they can get a new window of 570 x 500 for circa £13 too. Purchasing the correct gap width of course.

13. rogerk101

I was buying my DG units from Rodney at Marston Glass in Oxford, but he retired and someone else bought his business. The new guy honoured Rodney's pricing for a few years, and then moved the factory to a new site that is too far away for me for convenience. He then put me in touch with BS Glass, and they've been honouring the same sort of prices that I was getting from Marston Glass. I don't know where you are in the country, but I doubt that any smallish DG fabricator would be willing to use a courier service given the high probability of breakage. That said, if these are the sorts of prices I can get in Oxford (South East) then I can only think they should be cheaper in the less expensive parts of the country.

14. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

This interests me as I have a number of blown units. See below an online pricing I picked at random and plugged in the OP's sizes. These are in Hull. This is of course supply only.

upload_2021-4-11_18-14-23.png

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021