Repairing Exterior Concrete Steps

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JonnyNitro, Aug 4, 2010.

1. JonnyNitro

JonnyNitro New Member

I need some help with what product I can use to repair 6 concrete steps leading up to the front door of a period building.

The steps are heavily pitted with undulations and dips that vary from 4mm to 10mm.

I've used various forms of latex in the past, for interiors, but need some help in dealing with this as its exterior.

Needs to be waterproof and hardwearing.

Would like to avoid tiling them or building them up in concrete screed as assume it would need a minimum of 1" thickness.

Cheers..

2. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Johhny: If this is a 'period building', are you sure that those steps are concrete and not stone?

Can't you live with the steps as they are? After all, the wear is merely an interesting record of visitors to the building over the passage of time......

Lucia.

3. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

Johhny: If this is a 'period building', are you sure that those steps are concrete and not stone?

Can't you live with the steps as they are? After all, the wear is merely an interesting record of visitors to the building over the passage of time......

aaaaaa ferm i bet your steps are in good condition with the lack of visitors to your door over the passage of time

cheers

4. JonnyNitro

JonnyNitro New Member

"If this is a 'period building', are you sure that those steps are concrete and not stone?"

-They are concrete.

"Can't you live with the steps as they are? After all, the wear is merely an interesting record of visitors to the building over the passage of time......"

-No, they can't be lived with. By the time all the loose paint was scraped off, they are more of a trip hazard than a set of usable stairs to access a front door. Not a particularly interesting visitors record!!

Any more ideas guys?

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not too sure of the exact condition of the steps, but would it be a consideration to grind down the raised sides to level. Most pits etc can be surface filled with strong screed.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. chocice

chocice New Member

Could they not be faced up with some decent "period" looking bricks??

7. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

A thin sprayed cosmetic dressing of tarmac will do the trick - if it's good enough for for our county council roads, it's good enough for a 'period' flight of concrete steps......

Farrow and Ball make tarmac in delightful Georgian pastel shades.

Pfffttt!