Repairing Skirting Board

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Nigel Heather, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Nigel Heather

Nigel Heather New Member

I’m talking about the common type of skirting board that is made from layers of compressed cardboard or paper with a smooth (or finely textured) outer skin.

We are changing the flooring typing in a room and the hallway. Previously it was laminated flooring with beading/trim stuck to the bottom of the skirting to hide the expansion gap.

This beading/trim won't be needed anymore so I have removed it, I think it had been stuck on with something like 'Use No Nails', and it has come off cleanly enough in most places but has generally taken the smooth outer skin with it, revealing fibrous cardboard/paper underneath.

I can't imagine I'm the first to have experienced this so wondering/hoping whether there is a product that I can paint or smooth on which will seal the fibres and give me a smooth finish to paint on.

My thoughts are to use a wood filler, apply it as smoothly as I can and then sand - but maybe (hoping) there is a much better/clever solution than that.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You probably mean MDF, several things you can do, use Ronseal High Performance 2 part wood filler, sand smooth and re paint would be the sensible solution, if it's really bad replace or re-face with 2mm thick MDF strips cut to size from a local timber merchants.

If using the 2 part filler use masking tape on the floor under the filled areas and remove after fill has been done.

3. Nigel Heather

Nigel Heather New Member

No this isn’t MDF. It might look like it at first glance, I think as it isn’t real wood the natural assumption is MDF. You can have reasonable success sanding MDF smooth.

MDF is a lot more solid, it is sawdust bound together in a resin, but this is more like layers of paper laminated together and bonded with a glue or resin. If you cut into the end you can peel it off layers. And because it is card/paper it won’t sand smooth on it’s own - you just get fuzzies.

It comes with what I think is an acrylic coating that takes paint well but if that is removed you have card/paper underneath.

Perhaps they call this MDF too but it is not what I think of as MDF.

So I need something to seal it or fill it. I think the filler is the best anser I was just hoping for some brilliant alternative because I have about 20 metres to do.

Cheers,

Nigel

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The 'brilliant answer is to replace it....cheap enough to make it cost effective!

Muzungu likes this.
  5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Pull it off and replace with MDF (it's cheap enough) rather than faffing around. Filling and sanding 20 metres would drive me nuts. Replace with one slightly higher to mask any damage to the walls when you pull it off.

6. Nigel Heather

Nigel Heather New Member

I’ll have to try filling. I get what you are saying about replacing but I’ve done a piece before and it is hard work because the builder has attached it with long nails driven into the brickwork.

But regardless, I can do filling and painting but not so good at mitres - so it would be a case of getting someone in to replace the skirting and that would cost £100s round here.

7. Glass Hammer

Glass Hammer New Member

Easest solution for you might be to google "skirting board cover"
    Its a higher skirting which you fit outside your existing skirting. You can do the mitres if you take your time.