repalcement floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by CHILI PEPPER, Jan 4, 2008.

1. CHILI PEPPER

CHILI PEPPER New Member

i layed a new floor a few years ago along with new skirting architreve etc i will be replacing the floor shortly as i am gettin a new fire surround would it be easiest to totally remove all the skirting ??
    i dont really want to create myself a heap of work but want a good proffesional finish.

cheers Chili

2. CHILI PEPPER

CHILI PEPPER New Member

could i use a router around on the laminate ???? then it wouls make any easier job to remove the laminate ???

come on guys a little help needeed .... i know its been a long time ;0)

cheers chili pepper

3. lamello

lamello New Member

Its a hell of a job sliding new flooring under existing skirtings that have the right gap. Are you changing like for like. My job I would take the skirtings off an replace

4. CHILI PEPPER

CHILI PEPPER New Member

i am changing crapy b&q flooring and using quickstep, this was my first progect a few years back and want to replace flooring with quickstep ...

cheers mate ...

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

He's right, much easier to remove skirting and replace, B+Q lam is prob 7mm, quick-step 800 is 8mm, and 950 is 9.5mm. There is a 7mm quickstep but prob not what you are getting.

6. CHILI PEPPER

CHILI PEPPER New Member

so lift the lot and start again ???

chili

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

8. CHILI PEPPER

CHILI PEPPER New Member

cheers audi......

and there was me looking for a skilled joiners alterative ......!!!!!

thanka '0)

9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

The truth is you could f@nny round all day and manage to get the floor down under you existing skirting but it is easier to take it off and put it back on.

10. CHILI PEPPER

CHILI PEPPER New Member

thanks Audi ...

what method would be best to use to remove skirting without causing to much damage ???

and would you suggest that i laid the floor first before the new fire and harth were installed ???

cheers Chili

11. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Just go round the room scoring the join between the skirting and wall and be careful, depends how the skirting was fixed as to how much damage you will get, expext a little bit.
    If you are having a stone/marble hearth and gas fire it will need to go in first.
    If a decorative mdf/timber then up to you, bear in mind if you put the fire in first it will not be able to be changed without altering the floor.
    It pays to have an extra box of laminate in the cupboard just in case you do change in the future.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It would depend on the type of fireplace hearth you are having, but if you are laying on a bed of cement/mortar, you might decide to lay the floor first, and set the hearth so it overlaps the laminate by 20mm and sets down on top of the edge of the laminate(remembering to leave the cement short for laminate expansion).

Mr. Handyandy - really

13. CHILI PEPPER

CHILI PEPPER New Member

cheers audi mr handy man ....

im not fitting the fire and hearth im off out next weekend quick step lam shopping then ill start taking the hearth out the week after and lay the floor ....

thanks for youre help

chili pepper

14. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

What q-step you after and where are you?

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What q-step you after and where are you?

££££££££££££££$$$$$£££££££$$$$$$$$$$$$ ;)

Mr. Handyandy - really

16. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Well if i can help, only to happy!

17. CHILI PEPPER

CHILI PEPPER New Member

im in durham not sure what quick step yet ??

any suggestions ???

cheers.

18. d438a1

d438a1 Member

You could use a biscuit jointer and trim the bottom of the skirting all the way round....

19. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

biscuit jointer, eh??????????
    the skirting is on top of the old floor, gap allready there!

20. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

I can get you q-step chilli if you fancy a trip to north tyneside ;)