replace 1g 1w light switch with control switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Andrew Nimmo, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Andrew Nimmo

Andrew Nimmo New Member

im always leaving the outside sides lights on and thought i could use a control switch (lit neon) instead. My current box has just two lives as the neutrals are tied off. I connected the control switch in the same way as the switch via L1 and L2. The outside lights work but the neon remains off. The control switch is a 20A with neon. Does the neon only work with N1 and N2 connected?. thanks in advance

2. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Show a picture of the wiring at the rear of the switch, so we can comment

3. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

It seems you have purchased an isolator switch with neon. You may be able to get it to work if you have a neutral at the switch.

4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Depends on make and model, these [​IMG]work without a neutral connected, but most need a neutral.

5. Andrew Nimmo

Andrew Nimmo New Member

Thanks folks for being helpful. I worked out the neon isolator switch does indeed need neutral by connecting it to a 3 pin plug (safely, with a plastic back box.) There are neutral cables in the back of the wall box too which seem enabled, just crimped off neatly by the sparks who fitted it. Im going to try snipping the neutral and connecting them to the isolator. otherwise i may purchase a unit kindly shown by MGW. Could you please send me more details MGW? Thanks again

6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

7. Andrew Nimmo

Andrew Nimmo New Member

Thanks Teki. So the plate only lights up when the switch is in the on position, so long as I change to an MK logic? Looks neat too. Thanks for sharing

8. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

No it illuminates when the light is off, hence it's called a locator!

You would need to use the neutral if you wanted a neon to illuminate when the light is on. So you may as well use your new switch!

9. Andrew Nimmo

Andrew Nimmo New Member

the switch is visible in our family room so being on all the time when the light is off may be off putting. very glad you pointed out the word locator because i was looking up prices on the web. I cant find MGWs alternative switch at screwfix or the web. Hope he gets back with details otherwise im in for a trawl.

10. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

I think the switch @MGW has added an image of is a time lag one? So you push the button and the the light remains on for a set time. During that time, the indicator LED remains on. Neutrals are required for those switches.

11. Andrew Nimmo

Andrew Nimmo New Member

im impressed teki that you can glean so much from a picture. if it is indeed a timer switch it may do but not really what im after. when im giving the room the once over before the land of nod i want to see a light warning me that im wasting money (and also my memory is failing). I appreciate your help. Im not against paying for a professional by the way, but it was just one of those jobs that seemed simple on paper.

12. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Depending on your ability, you could install a PIR sensor so the lights come on with movement and at night. They would switch off after a set time period with no motion.

13. Andrew Nimmo

Andrew Nimmo New Member

yes a good idea. im grateful for any lateral thinking

14. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I would not recommend that light switch, I have 5, and only 2 still in service due to problems with the switches, in theory up to three remote controls can be paired to the switch, if you want internet connection it needs a hub, it is two wire, unless using a two way system, the second switch of a pair does not have a LED.

I only showed it to say some switches don't need a neutral. But where no neutral flashing when off, and a shimmer when on can be a problem, it depends on the bulbs used. With BS22d and E27 and E14 no problems found, with GU10 some bulbs have problems, with G9 hard to find bulbs which will work.

15. Andrew Nimmo

Andrew Nimmo New Member

thanks MGW. If an experienced user such as yourself has problems with it i guess it would be beyond me. This post has been very useful because it appears there is little option but to try and connect the neutrals if indeed they are really contiguous. Thank you all for your valuable help.