Replace garage steel lintel

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Cassas00, Jul 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

My current garage has a steel lintel that's rusted pretty bad.

It's approx 4m in width.

Its not load bearing I don't think, the garage joists run wall to wall, it has very few courses of brick above it, and has a roller shutter door, which has nothing to do with the beam?

What can I replace it with?

2. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

I guess it depends on your definition of load bearing but I'd hazard a guess that it's bearing some kind of load - the few courses of bricks and whatever sits on them would be supported by the lintel at the very least.

I'm only a DIY'er so can't comment on what would be suitable as a replacement, not sure if concrete lintels can safely span 4m and I would again imagine that depends on what loads it is bearing too. We have a similar sized garage door that I believe has a Catnic lintel above it. Not sure if you can still see the labels / markings on your lintel that would tell you the sizes / specifications

3. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

True! Happy to replace with steel, they don't seem too pricey but as always its the labour that outweighs the materials.