Replace sliding door integrated fridge freezer with a fixed/door-on-door replacement?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Afak, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Afak

Afak New Member

I currently have a sliding door integrated fridge freezer that is malfunctioning.

Have ordered a new integrated fridge freezer but realised after ordering that this is a fixed mechanism. Two questions:

1. Are the delivery people likely to install this for me since I paid for installation? (Purchased from Curry's)
    2. Even if they refuse to install, am I able to change the sliding door mechanism to fixed door? (Is it a DIY job?)

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Installation from places like Currys is limited to free standing appliances. The won't fit integrated appliances.
    Yes, it is a job that a diy capable person could tackle.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

You are probably correct, however, why did Currys offer a service that they could not supply. Could be an interesting discussion in court: Customer offered to purchase appliance, Currys offered extra service (knowing the appliance), customer accepted the offer, cutomer paid. That is, in law a contract, and even if Ts&Cs omitted built-in, the suppliers authorised representative made an offer.

4. Afak

Afak New Member

Thanks for the quick replies!

Currys do offer integrated installation for a higher price. The webpage detailing the service is https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/refrigeration-install-254-commercial.html

So I understand that it should be straightforward for a DIY job, do you reckon they would be likely to oblige? If not, what would the DIY process be? Is it just a case of disconnecting the original hinges and drilling holes for the door-to-door fridge hinges on the cupboard door?

5. kitfit1

It's something you will have to ask Currys themselves. The guys that deliver there goods are the guys that install it usually and they are just delivery men. Most are just trained to disconnect, remove and then install a new appliance (think freestanding fridge/ washing machine here).
    An integrated appliance, no matter what it is, needs someone that knows exactly what they are doing and knows how to problem solve as well.

6. kitfit1

If you have paid them the £90 to install it, then just let them get on with it. Must admit, i had no idea that they offered an install on integrated appliances. £90 for a tall fridge/freezer is dirt cheap. I wouldn't do it for that on a one off visit i must admit.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. Afak

Afak New Member

Thanks!

If I had to DIY this, what would the process be? Is it just a case of disconnecting the original hinges and drilling holes for the door-to-door fridge hinges on the cupboard door?

8. kitfit1

The process would be, remove the old FF, remove the hinges and plates. Then follow the installation instructions for the new FF. All FF's are different, they all have there own installation procedures and they all vary from one manufacture to another and indeed vary form one appliance to another even if it's the same manufacture.