Replace Window with Door

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Russell Traill, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Russell Traill

Russell Traill New Member

Hey All,

Got a window in the dining room that faces onto the garden patio, Would be much nicer if could be a door onto some decking.
    It's 1050mm wide, So can't quite get some french doors in there but a single glass panel door should work fine.

Main question is about taking out the wall beneath the window, Is there any reason this couldn't be done? I'm assuming if the lintel is good enough for a window it's good enough for a door as nothing really changes.....

It seems a pretty common & straight forward job, Just thinking of any potential hangups...

Cheers,
    Russell

2. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

I presume that you will need BC approval but quite a easy enough.

3. ajohn

ajohn Member

Maybe the easiest way to check on building regs is to ask your local buildings inspector - the man you probably need to pay if it needs that. ;) Might sound an odd thing to do but they are usually helpful. Or local planning who would probably know if building regs apply.

Maybe the main worry would be messing up the dpc. Not doing that might mean stepping over some remaining wall to go through the door.

What will be controlled is glass. In a doors case that just means toughened as far as I am aware and a certain thickness. It might also need registering as new or replacing double glazed windows do now. Big brother is watching more and more these days and problems can crop up when properties are sold.

John
    -

4. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

I agree a call to building control would help. However if the door is installed by a FENSA registered installer then that'll sort out any building control issues. Someone with FENSA registration is deemed to be competent so they are able to sign off their own work without needing an inspection. In fact some FENSA installers would do the whole job for you including breaking out the bricks.

In practical terms, break out the bricks down to the floor level. The DPC should be a few bricks lower because your floor joists will sit on the DPC. In some cases if the floor is at ground level then you'll find the outer skin DPC is higher, hopefully at floor level. Just be careful not to damaged the DPC if you do expose it. You can see the DPC level to check it before you start.

You should use an insulated cavity closer once the bricks and window are removed. Then your FENSA installer does the rest.

You can use a Stihl saw on the outside to get a nice straight cut on the bricks. The inside should be broken out by hand because the saw makes way too much dust to be used inside.

If I was paying someone I'd expect them to chisel out the bricks exposed by the saw cut and replace with new bricks. Otherwise the reveal (ie the corner of the bricks) where the window was would be nice and neat in contrast to a saw cut below. If your house is rendered then it doesn't matter.