Replace Window with Door

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Russell Traill, Nov 10, 2018 at 8:11 PM.

1. Russell Traill

Russell Traill New Member

Hey All,

Got a window in the dining room that faces onto the garden patio, Would be much nicer if could be a door onto some decking.
    It's 1050mm wide, So can't quite get some french doors in there but a single glass panel door should work fine.

Main question is about taking out the wall beneath the window, Is there any reason this couldn't be done? I'm assuming if the lintel is good enough for a window it's good enough for a door as nothing really changes.....

It seems a pretty common & straight forward job, Just thinking of any potential hangups...

Cheers,
    Russell

2. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

I presume that you will need BC approval but quite a easy enough.

3. ajohn

ajohn Member

Maybe the easiest way to check on building regs is to ask your local buildings inspector - the man you probably need to pay if it needs that. ;) Might sound an odd thing to do but they are usually helpful. Or local planning who would probably know if building regs apply.

Maybe the main worry would be messing up the dpc. Not doing that might mean stepping over some remaining wall to go through the door.

What will be controlled is glass. In a doors case that just means toughened as far as I am aware and a certain thickness. It might also need registering as new or replacing double glazed windows do now. Big brother is watching more and more these days and problems can crop up when properties are sold.

John
    -