Replacement ceiling rose

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Unworthy, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Unworthy

Unworthy New Member

I hope I can get some help here!

I am replacing a crumbling ceiling rose, it was working just fine, but when I went to replace the light shade it fell apart in my hands. So I took a note of how it was wired up, careful to do exactly the same on the replacement.

I appear to have two neutral cables, one live cable and 3 earth. I have put the two neutrals along side the neutral from the fitting and the live next to the live fitting (this is how it was when I took the old one apart) however, it is now not working and I can’t work out why!!! The light won’t go on, and it does not trip the circuit breaker. Any ideas internet?

I’ll be able to provide a photo later on if that helps!

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

yes please photos help a lot you should have two lives and two blacks the two reds go together in the middle terminal, then have you got some test equipment because one black will be live return and one neutral you need to work out which. It does sound like you have some cables missing maybe in the ceiling will wait for photos.

3. Unworthy

Unworthy New Member

I thought there was something missing too, but the light did work previously...

I’ll be able to photograph later this afternoon. Thanks.

4. spirits are real 2016

how old are the cables you might of disloged the join by accident.

5. Unworthy

Unworthy New Member

I think it is all pretty old. Here’s a photo, but I think I’ll get a spark to take a look at it...

Attached Files:

6. spirits are real 2016

bad news you are due a rewire you have silver twisted cable you need to take off the celing rose there will be some more cables hiding in the void you have three earths which means you would have three reds and three blacks two of those blacks are power in and power out third black is live return from switch first job would be find the missing cables.

7. spirits are real 2016

one of those blacks is too far in the terminal and it isn't making contact with the screw or wire one next to empty connecter.

8. The cables look like 6241y,if this is the case there is none missing and it needs testing properly.

9. Unworthy

Unworthy New Member

I wasn’t expecting good news :( Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

I’ll get a spark round to investigate.

Cheers.

10. spirits are real 2016

i was looking on my mobile so couldn't see picture properly sorry Deleted member 11267 is spot on as always a true professional.

11. spirits are real 2016

yes that would be your best bet get someone in but don't expect good news sorry.

12. Unworthy

Unworthy New Member

I have a tester...

As I say, it was working before... and I replicated exactly what was before. It should work

13. spirits are real 2016

re do the blacks making sure they are making contact with the screw it will work and then start clapping .

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Re check the connections ,particularly the blue neutral to light fitting ,looks like its clamped onto the blue insulation and not the copper conductor.

15. Unworthy

Unworthy New Member

Thanks for the helps folks. I’ll be calling in a professional before I do some damage!

spirits are real 2016 likes this.
  16. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

Looks like there is a connection comes drift behind the ceiling rose.take care unless they have used twin red for cable to switch you will find three reds or two reds and a black twisted together switch of electric and check it hat connection should be the problem as long as you have not disturbed the ceiling rose shown on the picture and altered