Replacement Room Thermostat

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by pde100, Dec 1, 2016.

1. pde100

pde100 Member

Hello,

My current Randall room stat seems stuck at 15 degrees and just switches on or off before or after 15. I was planning to replace it myself but the choice was a bit confusing 3 or 4 wire? volt free? electronic sensing?

I've attached a picture of my current one and hope someone can recommend a decent replacement for it?

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Shouldn't the earth have a sleeve on it too?

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Of course

4. Pde, the world's yer oyster.

As far as room stats are concerned.

Because you have 3-core + earth wiring, you can go for either mains-powered or battery-operated replacements - otherwise referred to as '3-wire' or '2-wire'.

You can have analogue or digital. You can have normal room stat or programmable room stat.

I would recommend in almost every circumstance going for a programmable 'stat.

And the world's yer oyster there too :)

5. pde100

pde100 Member

thanks very much for your replies, I have programmable box in the kitchen (a Honeywell, I Believe , but it's just the programme no thermostat) and just a simple dial room thermostat in the living room. Not sure if this is a normal setup? and I guessed I couldn't have a programmable stat In the living room too as this might conflict with the one in the kitchen?

thanks

6. pde100

pde100 Member

Could I asked how the battery ones work? Won't they need to be wired in order to send a signal to the boiler?

7. r18rws

r18rws Member

The beauty of the newer devices is that you can get rid of the fixed location and have a wireless stat that you put where you like. THey are battery operated and send a signal wirelessly to the control panel.

I just did the Nest in my house, and the programmer/timer is replaced by one part that then does everything.

The nice shiny room stat is either wall mountable or can be put on a stand (extra cost) and then you use it wherever you like. Nest does need to plugged in for power, bit like a mobile phone or ipad as it has a big bright screen. Simple enough and not hard wired in in your case.

The wireless ones that are battery operated can be put on a wall of your choice and need no power as the battery will last for ages and only has to light up the display and deal with the heat on/off signal.

If the location of yours now is good, you can use something like the link someone posted earlier - £20 job done.

If location isn't great, then a wireless one might be better and you go from £40 (? not checked) to around £200. Features differ obviously through the range

8. pde100

pde100 Member

Thanks for your replies. Does anyone know what the wires (blue, yellow, red) relate to in terms of what they do? e.g which one sends signals to the boiler? powers the thermostat etc?

thanks

9. The red is the live.
    The yellow is switched live back.
    The blue is neutral.

JP. likes this.
  10. So for battery-powered 'stats you only need Red and Yellow (but need to absolutely confirm).

Pde, what do you want the new stat to be? The same as before only more reliable? Or something slightly more betterer?.

11. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi
    The themostat that Deleted member 11267 suggests, is a good choice, the neon indicator is very useful. My 90 year old father would agree to this.
    I've got a honeywell thermostat, the digital temperature display is useful, and is easy and accurate to use. This one seems to be the nearest one from Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-dt90e-digital-room-thermostat-eco/41365

Both are very straight forward to wire up.

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Exactly - it never ceases to amaze me that anyone could ever depart from putting a 3c + e at room stat position. The use of the 3c + e imparts a greater degree of flexibilty to the installation - this means happy punters.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  13. pde100

pde100 Member

thanks for your answers! I like the idea of the nest or something smart but as I have an oil boiler I'm not sure how straight forward it is. So I think I would stick to something like for like but a bit more modern so might look at the digital one as kindly recommended by tricky thank!

14. Look in to what Programmable Room Stats are and what they do. See if you think it's of benefit.

If not, then go for a straight-forward digital stat as you are planning.

15. pde100

pde100 Member

thanks for the tip - I already have the programmable box in the kitchen(just without stat) so I wasn't sure if I could add another programmable stat in the living room?

thanks

16. Sigh - that's why you need to look up what a Prog Stat does... :rolleyes:

You can tell it what temp you want at what time, and you program it to this. Eg - (gawd, how often have I typed this...:rolleyes:) 21oC at 7am, followed by 16oC at 9am, then back up to 21oC at 5pm, and jump up a little to 22oC at 7pm before going back down to 14oC at 11pm until the next morning.

Or whatever YOU want for YOUR home.

See? They're great!

(You'd then leave your existing timer on 'ON 24 hrs' and jobbie jobbed.

It save you having to turn your room stat - even your new fangled digital one - up and down all the time. Of course, if you want to override it, you chust press a button.

Seriously, they are GREAT!

17. pde100

pde100 Member

thanks! I did read up on what programmable timers do and user my current one a lot (didn't know they can be programmed to adjust temp as well thought to be honest1) but I wasn't sure how it would work with two programmers timer sin the same house.. but that's good advice thanks

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  18. Vickie Coburn

Vickie Coburn New Member

Hello pde100, replacing thermostat is quite a tough task because if a thermostat is not installed properly, then it will have issues in the future and will end up with costly repairs. Its better you take help from a technician like from smart thermostat installation new jersey technician like Airdexinc as these technicians properly connect the wires and tighten the loose screws to secure the wire correctly.

19. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Hi Vickie. Welcome

I rather think that New Jersey might be a bit far for the tecghnician to travel - As this is a UK-based forum!