Replacing 3 way circuit with Philips Hue switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Spectron2k, Mar 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Spectron2k

Spectron2k New Member

First time poster, DIYer only (not a professional!) looking for some help.

I’ve just changed a ceiling light in the house with one that is a Philips Hue compatible. All works fine. The room currently has both a standard light switch and a ceiling mounted pull string light. What i want is to replace both of these with just the Philips Hue dimmer switch. Looking for some help on how i would do this?

To sum up I want to:
    Remove pull string ceiling switch at its now redundant.
    Remove the standard light switch from the wall but keep it powered, as the dimmer switch will now be the only light switch.
    Mount a Hue dimmer switch over the top of the hole where the light switch box was.

I’ve attached some photos of what wires are currently going to the wall switch.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Can you post photos of the wiring behind the pull cord switch?

3. Spectron2k

Spectron2k New Member

Will do tomorrow.

4. Spectron2k

Spectron2k New Member

I’ve attached a photo.

Attached Files:

5. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Is there a third switch anywhere? The wire colours there do not correspond with the other switch. Can you also post a photo of the wires inside the light fitting.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

As Teki says, the colours are different for some reason. MAybe a third (intermediate) switch or the cable has been extended at some point.

There is a way, but a question first. The wiring is for two way switching. Does the Philips Hue switch support two-way switching?

7. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

@Bazza you just install those battery operated wall remotes or fob remotes wherever you want to control the same light. It can even be controlled with an App. The light just needs a permanent supply.

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Oh, a new fangled thing. So, I guess the light needs to be powered on all of the time?
    If so, at the PULL SWITCH. Simply use a junction box to join together the red and black wires that are on the right hand side in the picture.
    Proper junction box though! All the other wires will then be redundant and the light will be permanently on, waiting for Phillip to work his magic.

Kingscurate likes this.
  9. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I'd suggest that you still have a switch in the supply to the light fitting. This allows you to isolate it if necessary. Also, you can use the switch by turning it off and on a couple or three times to switch the light on if the hue system or wifi goes down. Else you're in the dark!

10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

What rolandK says. Keep at least 1 existing switch, and then just use the remote(s) to control the hue (plus alexa if you want voice control). The latest bulbs will remember their setting if you turn off the mains switch and will also work just like ordinary bulbs.

11. Spectron2k

Spectron2k New Member

Thanks for your responses. I’ve decided to keep the main switch, but i’d still like to take out the pull string. Theres no ither switch so i’m guessing the cable has been extended in the attic.

12. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Do you have access to the wiring/junction box in the attic?

13. Spectron2k

Spectron2k New Member

I’ll check the attic this week to see if I can see anything.