Replacing a broken upvc window handle

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by bradbury1981, Mar 27, 2019.

1. bradbury1981

bradbury1981 New Member

Hi,

My kitchen window handle will not open and is currently in the locked position. The key can also not be turned to open the window as it seems to be seized up. Can anyone advise of the best way to remove this window handle and replace it with a new one. I have also tried to fit a scraper between the handle and window to unlock the handler, but still no luck. I have attached a photo of the handle below. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It looks like a fab n fix handle.

I think the spindle gets cut to match the original length. Also need the correct handed on i.e LH or RH,.

4. bradbury1981

bradbury1981 New Member

Thanks for your response. Is there not a further screw located under the handler to the right? The window handles I have replaced in our bedroom needed the window handle to be lifted to get to a further screw. Once this further screw had been removed, it released the window handle. Cheers.

QUOTE="KIAB, post: 1695764, member: 124622"]Remove that oval cap & there will be a screw underneath which can be removed,allowing handle to be removed from spindle.

https://www.handlestore.com/w08-rep...VybHtCh1L2gDwEAQYAiABEgKrWfD_BwE#83=113&139=8[/QUOTE]

5. bradbury1981

bradbury1981 New Member

Yes that is correct. The handles which I have rpevilusly ordered are universal, so can work with both LH and RH. My issue is that I can not open the window or get to the further screw as the handle will not budge at all.

QUOTE="Jitender, post: 1695770, member: 76982"]It looks like a fab n fix handle.

I think the spindle gets cut to match the original length. Also need the correct handed on i.e LH or RH,.[/QUOTE]

6. DIYperson

DIYperson Member

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Try some WD40 in key hole, might loosen things up.

And I've cut off a handle going through lock with a thin cutting disc on 4.5" grinder in the past,only way I could remove it.

Put a piece of ply under handle to protect frame & cover glass completey, as sparks will mark & pit the glass.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

That's a mess.. Saw off or drill lock out and go get new from screwfix. And yes 2 screws as you seem aware. I've also replaced the locking casement on a few that bust as easy job and bought off ebay if things go really wrong..don't panic

9. bradbury1981

bradbury1981 New Member

Thanks

10. bradbury1981

bradbury1981 New Member

Thanks

11. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes New Member

Hello

I've got the same problem. Recently moved into a new house and found that one of my windows doesn't lock. Handle wont budge at all. I've located the screw but it seems all the thread has gone. Just wondering best option to remove screw so I can replace the handle.

Many thanks

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

2 screws...one under cap and one under the locking point so you need to open handle. Bust and replace cssement..simple diy job

13. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes New Member

I cant open the handle seems like the locking mechanism has jammed. Also cant undo top screw as there is no thread to latch onto

14. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes New Member

This is the top screw I cant get out

Attached Files:

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I replaced upvc bathroom mechanism. Cardboard and sheets everywhere. Cut handle off with thin metal grinder blade. Got access to handle screws. Mole grip or cut off screw. Open window. Remove screws outside edge. I had to use universal replacement as online seller advised best bet. Fitted with new handle. Easy job when you see it...

https://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/...EQplI7JJgNN5ON_v8uH621eyvo1bLdnBoCelwQAvD_BwE

16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

That screw is a mess..buy a rounded screw remover..screwfix sell. They are designed to remove screws that are like yours..there is another screw you need to access when you open handle