Replacing a built in oven to an older kitchen

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Here4none, Dec 8, 2018 at 4:45 PM.

1. Here4none

Here4none New Member

Hi. I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if this has been answered before.

I'm a home-owner whose built in electric oven has just failed and needs replacing.

Electicians/fitters understandably will not carry out a guaranteed installation because of regulations about hot zones around the oven. The separation of the hob and cooker hood is around 700mm, edge of hob/oven to the vertical face of the wall mounted cupboards is certainly less than 90mm.

I cannot see how the oven can be replaced without it now requring complete kitchen redesign and rebuild (cupboards, cornices, tiles, plastering, decorating, cooker hood etc) which whilst desirable(!) will be very expensive. I can DIY to save money but am a little short of time to do it.

The kitchen was installed as part of a barn conversion in around 2005 and we moved in 2016.

Any assistance or guidance will be gratefully received with huge thanks. Photo can be posted if it helps.

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

Yes... photo will help!

3. Here4none

Here4none New Member

Here's are a few snaps. The units (including the one above the oven) are 600mm wide. Hopefully this fairly clear. Happy to add any others.

Attached Files:

4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Well-Known Member

If you are changing the oven I do not see the issue regarding the hob.

The wall units are fitted at the standard height of the old MFI / Howdens kitchens. There are hundreds of thousands of them fitted like that in the UK.

Perhaps you could refit the pelmet trim back in 40mm either side, but more of an issue with a gas hob.

Here4none likes this.
  5. Here4none

Here4none New Member

I've hopefully attached pictures below. Cheers

6. Here4none

Here4none New Member

Thank you so much for replying. I was unsure how common this kind of installation was, so your comment is reassuring. I could not believe we were unique!

Would this address my concern over the oven installation being compliant with regulations? I have looked at several online and high street appliance retailers, who also do fitting but they all specify this 750mm hot zone above the hob even for oven installation alone.

I am guessing they are also losing out on thousands of potential customers. I also can't see this tallies with tall oven units with a cupboard directly above the stove. Anyway im not a kitchen expert!

7. metrokitchens

Without any manufactures instructions that may be the default distance. That is directly above the hob though. The units directly to the sides are usually allowed to be minimum 46cm. That is all for gas. With electric it is usually lower and an induction hob can be lower still.

Note that your wall carcass are set at 46cm but the pelmet brings them lower. With a gas hob that would not comply, hence bringing the pelmet in either side. An easy job. Or just remove the pelmet and refit once the oven is changed.

Here4none likes this.
  8. Here4none

Here4none New Member

Thank you for your assistance. I'll certainly look at removing the pelmets. After my initial enquiry i did a search for low-profile extractors and found several decent flush units that live in the cupboard above. That would give us the suggested 750mm vertical clearance from hob to fan.

I'm grateful for your willingness to share knowledge on this matter. Its been a right game finding anything online about my oven problem. I hope this discussion can help anyone else in my situation.

9. metrokitchens

650 is fairly standard for an electric hob with the major appliance brands. Perhaps look online for the manual belonging to your hob or hood.

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Here4none, there is nothing wrong with buying the oven of your choice and then fitting it. The distances mentioned above tally with what you already have and are industry standard. I don't know what fitters/electricians you have spoken to before posting this thread, but they are wrong.

WillyEckerslike likes this.