Replacing a roof & Building Regs

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tph1, Feb 15, 2005.

1. tph1

tph1 Member

I bought a Victorian terrace last year and (by a competant roofer) re-roofed the 2 storey outrigger that houses the bathroom and kitchen. It is only a small extension (about 4mx3m), and the roof timbers were in a particularly poor state due to years of water ingress. The existing slate tiles were cracked with many missing or loose.

I therefore replaced all structural timber roof members, including the wall plate, and had it re-roofed with an interlocking concrete tile. I am extremely pleased with the final result, however I am now concerned that I should have got Building Control to inspect the works and approve the design.

Is this something I should worry about ? My concern is that if I now contact Building Control, they could be awkward and demand my ceiling is ripped down to inspect joist sizes, fixings, and insulation etc. What could be the possible repercussions in the future if I do not contact them now ?

Many thanks

2. DB Builders

DB Builders New Member

you are joking are you not???

3. tph1

tph1 Member

No.

4. tph1

tph1 Member

... and surely I am not the only person in the UK to have done this

5. Dodge

Dodge New Member

That's what I like about this site, you come on and ask a question because you are looking for help and advise from qualified and experienced professional's, and all you get is a sarky comment with no explanation.

NICE ONE !!

6. wood butcher

wood butcher New Member

you have caused your own problem now the only option is to bite the bullet and own up . you will have to notify the local authority and see if you can get retrospective consents with all this entails and be prepared for the consequences. good luck.

WB

7. DB Builders

DB Builders New Member

When you are sick you see a doctor
    when you need financial advice you see a consultant
    when you need your accounts filed you use an accountant
    when you car breaks down you use a mechanic
    when you carryout the repairs, alterations, extensions yourself don't expect freebie advice from qualified trades..

good luck

8. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Looks like it's my turn to get Offish.

DBBS, Take a look at the orrigional post. The job was done by a roofer. IE a professional (which I guess, by your rantings that you think you qualify as). It is only the regs part he is concerned about.

My advice would be to leave it. It's not a problem unless you are gonna sell and only then if the other guys solicitor/surveyor make it so.

Question for DBBS.......... What, in your opinion, are these message boards for?

9. tph1

tph1 Member

Many thanks for your support Mr Kipling.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets ****** off with reading useless, sarky comments on these boards all the time. I suspect in many cases it is simply that the person making such comments cannot bring anything of note to the discussion, and yet wants to feel like they are "contributing".

Back to my situation, I can understand why some might think "it is my fault", or if the roofer was "competent" he should have insisted on Building Regs before commencing work, or indeed that I should own up immediatley because "it is the right, lawful thing to do" - However, I was not looking for an obvious, self righteous answer like this (I can think those up myself).

I was just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation, and if so what action did they take, and what was the outcome / consequences ?

With regard to your comment Mr Kipling, that is probably the course of action i will take, and hope that the issue is not raised at point of sale.

It seems amazing to me that I have a rotten and structurally dangerous roof... I change it for a new one... and the Council can take a sudden interest in my domestic health & safety !

10. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo tph and mr kipling

i must admit on two occasions i have made unhelpfull comments
    once a man wanted to remove a chimney from the bottom up
    and an other time a man wanted to remove a wall and was asking if the floor was strong enough to support the upstairs wall as it was sagging

now whilst my reaction of surprise was understandable i realised if they got such reactions they wouldnt ask questions and make possibly fatal errors

so now i never do anything to discourage anyone
    if you think of it we can only know a small part of one%off all the information avalable on the net;)

big all

11. DB Builders

DB Builders New Member

well according to the Forum / Category it's for builders talk, so if your not a builder what are you doing here giving out duff info Mr kidding sorry kipling.

12. lowey

lowey New Member

I assume from your reply that you never do cross-trade work?
    Never fitted the odd plug or put an extra radiator in one of your projects?
    Perhaps you'd go to the Electricians or Plumbers forum for a quick refresher over a problem only to find some aloof jobber tells you to ** off their website as its only for them!!

13. Self Builder

Self Builder New Member

As I am not a professional builder, maybe some here will object to my post, however as a well experienced amateur who has been in a similar position in the past maybe tph1 will appreciate my advice.

In my last house I had a similar problem. We had a wall removed (by a firm of builders who called themselves professionals). At the time I did not know what I have since learned re building control, and did not realise that I should have informed them. Suprise, suprise the professionals didn't mention it to me either - it increases the 'hassle factor' of the job you see!

Anyhow, a few years later when we came to sell the matter came up - you are now asked if you have done any structural work on the house. The net result was:
    1) Since the work was done over one year ago building control could do nothing (so keep quiet for at least a year).
    2) I had to pay an indemnity, about £30, which basically covers the buyer if there is anything wrong with the work.

Assuming that the legalities haven't changed in the last 4 years I would suggest that you are in the same boat. Unless you want to rip of plaster etc to expose the work to the BCO, keep quiet until you sell. At that point come clean if you are asked - the indemnity will probably cost less that the building regs application and there will definintely be less hassle.

In the mean time, enjoy the benefits of a dry and structurally sound new roof!

SB

14. building control

building control New Member

" Since the work was done over one year ago building control could do nothing"

at the moment, the law is changing but I never told you ok?

the trouble starts when the mortgage lenders want an approval and completion cert.

15. lowey

lowey New Member

At the moment, mortgage lenders dont <u>require</u> certification of work for sale, they go off the valuers assessment. He may undervalue your improvements if they dont look right but any house you buy is basically 'sold as seen' - you decide whether you want it enough to overlook small faults picked up on survey, for example.
    As for imdenity, yes this is cheaper than retrospective approval but is not a guarantee of the work...it is a more complicated legal thing. If the roof falls in through malpractice, why would that be your fault? The roofer would have to call on his Public Liability insurance.

16. CanDo

CanDo New Member

Similar to Self Builder I have personal experience. When i bought my house the Surveyor picked up several things.
    The fifth bedroom and kitchen extension did not have all the correct approvals, if any. On his and the solicitors advise we asked the seller to chase things up with the council but to allow the sale we agreed to an indemnity in the contract.

After we moved in I personally contacted the council planning/building regs dept. I explained the situation. He said, similar to Self Builder, as both room and extension were over 12 months we don't need building regs. As for the planning permission for the extension, he said "If you tell me it's was done over 7 years ago, we won't take it any further!" So I said, "it's over 7 years". So he came back with, well Mr ?? you've got nothing to worry about.

He explained that his council had better and bigger things to worry about than private dwellings. Maybe I was lucky, maybe my council have there heads screwed on?? But I personally wouldn't tell them until you come to sell, then take it from there.

Good Luck

17. building control

building control New Member

We dont chase things over a year either, I dont know of any authority that does, however if the buyers solicitor or lender get funny, you will be chasing the local authority, please dont ask on a thursday as you are exchanging contracts friday?

thats what usually happens, we try to help but the day to day work still has to be done.

18. tph1

tph1 Member

Well it was a long wait but I got some sensible answers in the end. Many thanks to everyone who had something positive to contribute.

19. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen New Member

Just goes to show tph1, everything comes to he who waits.

And just for the record, I wouldn't waste any time worrying about your little conundrum. When the time comes in the future for you to sell, part of your house has been re-roofed at some point in the past. So what? Hundreds of houses up and down the country are the same.