Replacing a staircase - what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Johnpg, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

Hi everyone,

Wouldn't mind some advice on fitting a new staircase. Just bought a house, and three of the stair treads are snapped, along with three of the risers. I'm looking at things, and basically I just want to rip the whole thing out and just start again - is that feasible?

There's a stringer against the wall, along with the outer stringer.

Is it feasible to rip all of that out and just put a new one in? I plan to have the whole wall replastered, too!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Can't you repair? Remove board under to gain access.

You can buy stairs made to measure online or get made with local firm to spec

3. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

I like the idea of just replacing, because I want to re-plaster the entire wall and make the new staircase a feature in oak with open stringers

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Find local joinery shop and they will make one to fit.
    Also some joiners will make them and fit either from kit or in workshop.

Get wall skimmed first

5. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

This is bizarre, my post from here was deleted?

I replied saying I was buying a ready made one from stairbox and then planned to fit it myself, providing it was straightforward.

If anyone is able to supply specifics on what does into fitting a new staircase, I'd really appreciate it. I've watched a few videos, and it seems pretty straightforward from just a pure fitting perspective, but am happy to be scared out of doing it myself if there's something I'm grossly underestimating!

6. Hazza

Hazza New Member

Hi John...You need to give some consideration to the floor at your stairs is support. There appears to be either a quarter or half space landing at the top of the stairs. Also the fact that there appears to be a double newel post from the floor up to the landing suggests it is offering additional support besides your stairs. There would be replastering involved with the bulkhead (under the stairs) Before investing in a new flight of stairs , depending on your skill set ( not intended as an insult) it probably would be wise to seek some advice.... someone to come and look. Fitting of stairs is relatively simple but looking at the floor might involve some prep work before you remove them... Good luck and best wishes

7. Hazza

Hazza New Member

.....at the top of your stairs is supported..

8. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

Hazza,

Hey mate, happy new year to you, really appreciate the advice. Yes, there is indeed a half landing, and I planned to leave in the column. Actually, I planned to replace it with a better one. I'm having the entire house re-plastered by someone who is also a pretty capable carpenter, so the idea is to get him to finish the walls, then I'm going to pay him his day rate to supervise and help with the installation of the staircase - good shout on the floor, I assume it is going to have a bunch of gaps in the flooring after, and my solution is to hope I'm wrong haha

So yeah, going to leave that column in, and then underneath the stairs I plan to build a drinks area that will completely hide all the potential damage.

Am I thinking along the correct lines here?

Thanks again man!

9. Hazza

Hazza New Member

Hi John HNY to you also. The outer string (the one with the Balustrades) will be tenoned into the full height newel post and doweled from the outer face.
    The last riser and nosing to the landing should also be fixed to the newel. There will obviously some cutting and carving to take out and replace but as long as there's no sledge hammers involved and plenty of patience (and as as you say your chap is pretty capable) all should be good.