replacing banister and stair parts

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by house and home, Oct 22, 2009.

1. house and home

house and home New Member

customer has asked me to replace a newel post, banister etc she has previously "cut off" the newel post at the top of the stairs and the bottom flush with floor level, so my question is "how do you attatch a new newel post to this "stump" that is left".......securely!!!!!without it wobbling all over the place!!!

also what is the recommended distance between the balistrade posts?

I dont usually get involved with any stair work but work is so tight at the moment and she is a regular who wanted me to do it!........p.s its a pine setup and she wants it varnishing etc so I cant afford loads of screw holes straps etc or anything that can be seen to easily as I cant fill it and sand it over!

cheers fellas!

2. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

Did this around 6 months ago for the in-laws who were getting a bit unsteady.

You need to drill a hole corresponding to new and old post and insert some thing like a brush handle as a big dowel. At least 200mm into each end. Glue with a decent glue or I used pink fill for speed.

I also strengthened mine with steel threaded bar but maybe this was overkill. Absolutely rock solid.

If the post has been cut to ground level it may be better to lift some boards and maybe replace the whole thing if you can.

I think the legals on spindles is no bigger than 100mm (think Babies head.)

3. house and home

house and home New Member

thought that was the way! but wondered about drilling both holes in the exact direction, thus ensuring the banister stands level!

4. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Don't bugger about with jointing the Newel post to the existing stub, it just won't work. Clear it all of the previous modifications and restore the stair parts to their original condition. It's the only way reliable way......

Lucia.

5. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

It just won't work ? You sound like the sort of "professional" that first got me into DIY.

Worked well, cost virtually nothing.