Replacing bathroom extractor fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jessemackin, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Jessemackin

Jessemackin New Member

Want to replace a bathroom extractor fan as I think it's had its day.

The original one is a
    type 100t1
    240v 50hz 19w
    IP44

Runs of light switch from an isolator.

Google search obviously brings up a whole load of results. I understand the "100" refers to the diameter.

But the prefixes ie. CF/VA/DX etc I don't understand.

Just looking for a good silent fan which will run of a light switch.

Will rry add pics later

Cheers

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Is it ceiling or wall mounted? How long is the ducting to outside?

Is cost/aesthetics important?

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You don’t mention the make of the old fan.
    but 100T indicates that it is a timer fan. That means the fan carries on running for a while after the light is switched off. Is that the case?

4. Jessemackin

Jessemackin New Member

Wall mounted on external wall.
    Cost?
    Mid range, quiet, not keen on the grill type fronts. And one that I can replace myself
    Once I know what I can and can't have. I'll be able to sift through my options

Cheers

5. Jessemackin

Jessemackin New Member

Thanks.

No make on the old one.

What about the prefixes on some models ie CF/DX/AV etc?

Cheers

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

DX etc are Usually just models prefixes that the particular manufacturers make up for themselves.

The suffixes usually mean
    T = timer
    H = Humidistat
    Etc.

IS yours a timer fan??

7. Jessemackin

Jessemackin New Member

It's a type 100t1

It's also on a
    10a 250v 50hz isolator switch

8. Jessemackin

Jessemackin New Member

If you mean timer as in it stays on for a few more secs after light is turned off, then yes

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ok, so choose the 100mm timer fan you like the look of. Screwfix have a range. Don’t buy cheap!
    The fans include their operating noise level (dBA) the lower the dBA number the quieter. THE SFX part number 260HV us a decent choice.

Installation should be simple. Turn off the isolator, check power is disconnected at the fan.

HINT…Photograph the connections before you unwire anything.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Agree with Bazza above - the fan in the link is a good choice, recognised brand, decent set of specs for this type of 100mm fan and like you mentioned, not the grill type front but a flat ‘tile type’ facia

This front cover slides to the side and then off for ease of cleaning if your that way inclined !

Pleased to say that it doesn’t have the blue Vent Axia logo actually on the cover, as shown in the photo on link, so just plain white / not brilliant white though (the old model did have blue logo, fitted one 2 weeks ago and no ugly logo / good result)

Fan has 2 speeds which you can select simply by swapping a 2 pin connector between 3 pins for high / low speed. High speed is a little noisier but more efficient at clearing steam and I feel noise level is acceptable for the performance

Select overrun time, again simple, up to a maximum of approx 20 minutes - just depends how steamy your bathroom gets so you can play around with this timing as may need less overrun

Just note that the cable entry point on your current fan may not line up with entry point on any new fan you purchase so can re-route cable if you have some excess or possibly drill new entry point in fan body - avoiding any working parts obviously !

Also be aware that the current fixing holes in your fan/wall are unlikely to line up with new fan so again, highly likely that you will need to drill new holes for fixings in wall, but not a big issue there

Don’t be concerned over fan type and the fact that yours is currently wired via light switch - this won’t affect your choice of fan in the slightest

Bathroom fans are either wired via the light switch, as yours is, so fan comes on with the light or, wired independently to the light, on their own switch - all fans are capable of either wiring method so don’t over think this please :)

Huge choice of fans available, price ranges, known brands and lesser brands, colours and finishes, warranty periods

Bazzas suggestion comes with a 5 year Manufacturers Guarantee which is rather good

Any problems wiring up new - ask away but again, as above, isolate fan and check wiring at fan is dead before proceeding - safety 1st ……. Always

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  11. Jessemackin

Jessemackin New Member

thanks alot

would this be sufficient enough for a 1.8 x 2.4 x 2.4 m bathroom. as working out the m3/hr rating and it comes out at 100m3/hr

any others you might suggest

12. Jessemackin

Jessemackin New Member

this one
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-cqf100t-7w-bathroom-extractor-fan-with-timer-white-240v/989gy

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Can't really suggest a particular fan as I'm diy only so can only give you so much info from personal use - I've got 2 of the Vent Axia's in the link and fitted a 3rd for my mum and all work well

I've also got a cheap fan in a downstairs cloakroom and for around 16 quid, it does the job - no shower but removes toilet 'smells' with overrun timer ;) - not sure how well it would perform in a steamy bathroom though

The Manrose fan you link to has a higher extraction rate and not surprisingly a higher noise level, whilst having a 1 year guarantee (compared to 5 years with the vent axia)

I'm sure that either fan will perform well when speed and overrun time has been adjusted to suite environment. A plus point for any fan is that yours is vented out through the wall, thus avoiding long or poorly routed flexi hoses which will severely hinder any fans performance

14. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I seem to post a link to envirovent fans relatively often but they are very good products and relatively inexpensive:

Envirovent SIL100T "Silent"... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0080XNKQ0

To ensure the fan performs, use solid ducting through the wall (not that stretchy stuff) and a fixed grill like this:

Extractor Fan Wall White Fixed Louvre Grill Grille Ventilation 4", 5", 6" (4" 100mm) https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FWDZYUA

Be sure there is an equivalent area for air to get in to the room, for example a 10mm gap across the bottom of the door.

15. Jessemackin

Jessemackin New Member

thanks.

bought one, wired up and runs fine. Just need to extenten cable. Could you point me in right direction of the cable i need. Also Ill probably swap out the isolator switch for something abit less bulky. Will be getting bathroom redone soon anyway at some point

cheers
    changed .jpg 20211228_183419.jpg

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That's annoying regarding flex length and cable entry point ! But well done for getting fan swapped over pronto

You could remove screws and rotate fan a quarter turn so entry point is now at top of fan, or rotate again so entry point is on LHS

Although there's an in-built spirit level at the 'top' of the case, the fan doesn't actually care which orientation its mounted at, although its more to do with the attchment of the front cover as right way up, cover attaches from the left, but once its clipped on, cant see a problem if its on its side ?

You wouldn't extend such a short cable, along with such good ease of access - you would simply replace it with new cable of the correct length
    3 core and earth flex is what you have there, or sometimes just called 4 core flex/cable/wire

Few places used to sell cable by the meter that you cut yourself - B&Q, Wilkinsons, are two that I can think of but cant say if they still do or if they will have correct cable

Electrical wholesaler's / suppliers will sell a range of cable by the meter and generally sell to the public - again check

Other than that, the internet of course, can often buy cable by the meter. B&Q have a 5m roll of 4 core flex listed

As for a less bulky isolator as you say, its not the switch itself, its just that the isolator is surface mounted on the tile face
    Wait until your having the bathroom redone as you mention, and get the isolator flush mounted to the wall, also cable sunk into wall for a much neater finish

Good luck with it all

17. Jessemackin

Jessemackin New Member

thanks again

yes wanted to replace cable rather that add a piece on.

I did wonder why there was a spirit level on it and does a fan need to be level. Ill try rotating first. Luckily the old holes line up

the whole bathroom looks **** atm, a different iso switch wouldnt improve it...not sure what i was thinking:confused:

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m fairly sure that the in/built spirit level is mentioned in the instruction manual and it mentions that levelling the fan is merely for a cosmetic point - the fan doesn’t care at what angle it sits to function properly - put it diagonal if you do wish !

No switches / sockets ever look good when they’re surface mounted (unless say it’s in a garage or workshop) you simply can’t ‘polish a ****’ so wait till bathroom refurb and get iso sunk into wall

Can then choose a nice new faceplate, come in a variety of styles and finishes but ultimately will look a whole lot better flush mounted, as well as cable sunk into wall

Isolator can also be mounted outside of bathroom if you wish, often above the door, either bathroom or hall side - worth considering at the time

19. Mromano69

Mromano69 New Member

Just found this thread and maybe somebody can help. I am trying to change a wall mounted timed extractor fan in my small bathroom. The original model is a cheap one from Wickes that is no longer available. I bought a couple from Amazon also timed with 3 connections and first didn't work at all second act strange, only starts every 4 pulls of the light cord and then stops as soon as the light is switched off. It seems strange that both are defective but cable wiring seems ok (ie: blue on N, red on L and yellow on Ls) and similar to the old fan that didn't have Ls but L1 which I assume is the same. I am enclosing photo of the new fan I tried to install. Any suggestions would be very welcome, I tried to contact the manufacturer but they didn't reply.
    I attach a photo of the new fan connection.

New fan:
    Airflow Aura-eco 100T 100mm Extractor Timer Fan https://amzn.eu/d/3JXweQS

Attached Files:

20. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Do you have any test equipment such as a multimeter?

Try swapping around the red and yellow wires.

The uninsulated earth wire should have green/yellow sleeving on it and kept safe: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulk-Hardware-BH01501-Sleeving-Yellow/dp/B00JILC5YG

Tricky Dicky likes this.