Replacing Ceiling Light/Fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by LHensh, Jan 13, 2021 at 8:31 PM.

1. LHensh

LHensh New Member

Hi all,

I am needing to change the ceiling light/fan in the attached to downlights. The current light runs from a dimmer/rocker combo switch where the rocker powers the fan.

I'm not able to look at the fitting until the weekend, but I'm expecting to find 4 cables coming through the ceiling, is that right? (Loop IN, Loop OUT, Light switch live and Fan switch live)

If that is the case how to I safely isolate the cable for the fan as this will no longer be needed?
    I plan to use a maintenance free juncton box for the other cables which will then go on to power the downlights, should the fan cable be housed in there too in a connecter block?

The same question would then apply at the switch end, as I will be changing the switch to a single dimmer, so where should the unconnected fan cable go?

Thanks
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Pics of the wiring at switch and ceiling would be a good start.
    Depending on the light fitting that you intend to use ,there may be space in its base plate to make all necessary connections . A pic of your new light fitting would be good also.
    Are you putting a suspended ceiling in ? I think I may have misunderstood your intentions ?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 8:56 PM
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Not what your asking but those fan/light switches are a pain. For under £20 you can get a sonoff adapter that fits inside fan.. Then it's all voice activated with just an isolation switch...High jacking post but might be of use..

4. LHensh

LHensh New Member

I'll post some photos once I have got the light down.

There won't be a light fitting where the current light is situated as I will be running downlights around the perimeter of the room, so I intend on placing the cables into a maintenance free junction box which will then run to the first downlight. Yeah, it will be a suspended ceiling that is put in.

Assuming the wiring is how I mentioned im the the first post (which it may well not be) then its the fan cable I'm not sure about, at both the fitting and switch.

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

No point in second guessing how it's wired ,or how many cables there are . Could be a single ,3 core and earth from the switch ,to the fitting,if the neutral is present at the switch.
    Could be wired a few ways.

6. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

Only advice I can give is fan wiring if supplied separately as it would appear to be is likely lopped of the supply for the dimmer switch I would just rip out the extra cable between the switch and current fan if separate supply coming into switch safely terminate at switch box and label for future maintenance and reference

7. LHensh

LHensh New Member

OK, so managed to wrestle the light off the ceiling today and this is what I am left with.

Turns out the light is connected to the downstairs sockets circuit (apparantly common with conservatories?) So its just a single cable running to the light from the switch.

I'm assuming here its as straight forward as carrying on the live/neutral/earth wires to my chain of downlights? Maybe via a Wago junction box that is stored above the new ceiling?

The yellow cable seems to have powered the fan previously, can this just be left taped and disconnected in the ceiling and behind the switch?

Attached Files:

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is there a fused connection unit supplying the cable to the switch position ?
    You only need to connect the two red conductors to your new switch . Both ends of the yellow conductor need to be terminated in insulated terminal blocks or wago connectors. NOT just wrapped in tape.
    I can't see how both the earth conductors are terminated in your pic ,but they must be together in a terminal on the metal box ,or if your new switch has an earth terminal ,they should both connect to that.
    The junction box in the ceiling must be maintenance free. And all the conductors terminated within it ,including the yellow one.

9. LHensh

LHensh New Member

Thanks Terry.

Yes I have a fused box near the switch (photo attached)

It's still the old switch I have in there, nipping out to SF now to pick up a new one, but I can see that both the earth cables are terminated at the top of the back box. I will leave them there if the new switch doesn't have earth terminals.

You mention only the red cables need connecting to the new switch, is that to say I can leave the neutrals in the box they are currently in and not connect direct to the new switch?

I'll make sure the yellow cable in the switch is terminated safely in a block

Thanks again

Attached Files:

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

There are no neutrals connected to your existing switch , just a piece of blue coloured insulation on a live bridging wire.
    The neutrals are connected in the loose terminal block in the box ,and will remain there.
    Are you fitting a dimmer switch ?

11. LHensh

LHensh New Member

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Ok. Are your led light fittings themselves suitable for dimming ?

13. LHensh

LHensh New Member

terrymac likes this.