Replacing ceiling rose with junction box and keeping a permanent live

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jacopo, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Jacopo

Jacopo Member

Hello, I’m going to replace the pendant in the living room with some downlights

Two questions:

1)
    I have thought about having a Wago junction box with the three cables going in (2x twin core and earth from previous and next room and the twin core and earth from the light switch) and one twin core and earth coming out (switched live + neutra + earth) and going to the first downlight

Is this acceptable?

2)
    If ok, then I would also like to fit something like a Shelly switch in the ceiling void (https://shelly.cloud/shelly1-open-source/), which requires a neutral, live and switched live to work
    In this case, instead of the twin core and earth coming out of the junction box, I would have a 3 core and earth: grey with blue sleeve for the neutral, brown for permanent live, black with brown sleeve for switched live and sleeved earth

If the Shelly switch is later removed I would terminate the permanent live with a Wago connector or chock block

Again, any problem with doing this?

2. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

The shelly switch does not seem to have an enclosure, so would have to be inside an adaptable box, it also wouldn't classify as maintenance free so will have to have an access panel - The Wagobox is maintenance free when used with genuine Wago connectors, so you can hide that in the void, fit and forget.

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

4. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Bazzas suggested product is sound, the shelley is designed to fit inside a type of backbox that is commonplace in mainland EU for mounting schuko sockets, but not available or used here.

Bazza likes this.
  5. Jacopo

Jacopo Member

I’ll keep the Shelly, thanks; quinetic doesn’t seem to support mqtt and looks like it needs a deeper backbox than 16mm