Replacing Cooker Cable Notifiable?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mcooper2406, Jan 11, 2019.

  1. mcooper2406

    mcooper2406 New Member

    Hi All,

    Sorry if I have misunderstood this but I need to extend my cooker cable due to it moving to a new location in another room.

    From what I understand from reading in the part P regulations as it is altering an existing circuit in a non specialised location it is non notifiable.

    However if the cooker cable is fully replace from the CU, does this then become a "new circuit" and notifiable or as the MCB and cable run and everything is already there is it sill altering an existing circuit?

    So my questions are:
    1) is extending the current cable with a 60A JB notifiable?
    2) is replacing the full cable notifiable?

    P.S. I'm not intending to do much if any of the work myself I just wanted to know the in's and out's of Part P in a little more detail before getting quotes etc...
  2. rogerk101

    rogerk101 Well-Known Member

    Not notifiable.
  3. Bazza-spark

    Bazza-spark Well-Known Member

    As Roger says, no and no.

    Ideally replace the whole cable, but as long as the JB is either maintenance free or accessible it is fine.

    Kind regards
  4. peter palmer

    peter palmer Well-Known Member

    If you are installing it behind plaster though, it will have to be RCD protected. I think its just lighting circuits that now need RCD'ing if they are in trunking or surface isn't it?

Share This Page