Replacing door on brick shed

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by sparkysam, May 22, 2008.

1. sparkysam

sparkysam New Member

I have a brick shed and both the door and frame have rotted near the bottom. The door currently opens into the shed and I'm looking to change it to open outwards to free up a bit of space inside.

Which is the best wood to use for the frame and are there external framing kits to use?

What kind of door is best to fit on a shed. The current is ledge and braced and this is doesn't seem very strong.

2. cabinet

cabinet New Member

The best timber for any external door frame would be either pressure treated unsorted redwood or hardwood such as oak.

You can make up your own door frame constructing it from off the self pressure treated soft wood. The size of section would depend on the structural opening and the size of door.

The type of door will depend on how secure you want it to be, plus the size available. The structural opening may restrict your choice of door. The easiest door to make your self is a ledge and brace door which is hat you say you already have. The strength of this type of door depends on what size section of timber it is constructed from plus how you secure the boards to the ledges.

Have a look at this it is for a slatted ledge and brace door but you can change the slatted boards for T&G boards.

Should the structural opening allow you could use a framed ledged and brace door.

3. parana

parana New Member

The best timber for any external door frame would be
    either pressure treated
    unsorted
    redwood or hardwood such as oak.

I recently made a new outward opening frame and bespoke flb door for my workshop. used untreated softwood, just make sure you prime properly and paint with a good quality exterior gloss (weathershield)I have had no problems and I live in the p1ssy valley south wales. if you buy an flb like the cowcroft from B&Q these are untreated softwood, just follow the instructions and apply the same to the frame.

P

4. mof

mof Member

I would think twice about having a door opening out,Would you stack stuff right up to the door if it opened out? How will you get in the shed if you have stuff stacked where the door opens now? I think you will gain very little extra space and will have wind and rain acting on your nice new door.