Replacing Floorboards - Advice Required

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Geordie Yacker, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Geordie Yacker

Geordie Yacker New Member

Would appreciate some advice on this one:

I need to replace some floorboards in my house (1930's) The existing tongue and groove floorboards don't seem to be the same size (width) as ones currently available at Wickes, B&Q etc. but are the same thickness (18mm approx). The existing floorboards have small rectangular shaped pieces of rubber (about 3mm thick) between the underside of the floorboards and the top of the joists.

I need to replace some isolated areas of the floorbords (varying shapes and sizes). Should I use new floorboards and cut one of them to suit the required width? Or should I consider using chipboard or other material?

If using floorboards I was thinking of using strips of 3mm thick hardbord to replace the rubber strips.

Any advice/comments greatly appreciated.

2. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

I've been using B&Q boards cut to size. They seem the same thickness as the originals but a re a little wider. I think a 4 pack 2.7m long is around £12.

They aren't the best quality timber but seem fine to use as long as you get them down quick and screw them down.

Nails won't hold the wild twists they develop if you don't ....

As I only need to patch a few boards these were my cheapest option and have been down a year without any problems.
    Boards made to size are ridiculously expensive.

Don't cut strips of chipboard or mdf as this will bend when you stand on it.

I'd use 3mm ply if you can find it rather than hardboard.

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo g y

wood bought from the sheds is always 2 or3mm thinner than builders or wood yards so source you wood from a "good" source then thats the thickness issue addressed hopfully

secure a batton[2"x1"] to the edge of the surrounding boards to give the new board a ledge to sit on then screw into place

hope that
    helps big all

4. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

The 18mm boards from B&Q were exactly the thickness of MY original boards (3/4") so they were fine for me.

Obviously it would be worth taking a piece with you.

1 or 2mm either way may not even notice if you're going to carpet on top.

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

diyhopeful

3/4" is not exactly equal to 18mm

6. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

also, "may not notice", depends on your definition of quality

7. Forget B&Q, go down to yourlocal timber merchant with a piece of the board.

They are likely to have two thicknesses of floorboard.

A thinner cheaper one in whitewood, should be about 18mm and a thicker more expensive board in redwood which should be about 22mm.

Either one will be much better quality than you willl get in B&Q and they will cut to size and probably allow you to sort so you only get good usuable board.

8. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

DD

My advice was based on my experience of patching the same sort of flooring as described above. As the guy was asking for some advice I thought I'd approach it from a DIY'ers point of view

There were approx 120 boards in my lounge in various state of repair most had cupped edges, some were split and some were virtually none existent over bearly supporting bit of wood nailed to joists.

Obviously the B&Q boards are not quality items they are easy to get hold of on a Sunday morning rather than going to a merchant during office hours.

Once they were fitted into place the new boards are better than the original under the carpet.

I've had single boards made in the past at a hugely inflated cost and also replaced entire floors with new boards but for patching I still stand by this advice.

9. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

TKF,

Likewise your advice on timber merchants sounds good, but most people are intimidated by the surroundings and they aren't open when your typical DIY'er intends to do the job.

I know people should plan ahead but people wake up on a Sunday morning then jam B&Q looking for stuff they need for that day.

They shouldn't, but they do.

They best timber merchants near me are trade only and the only alternative is a Wickes, B&Q or Homebase......

10. big all

big all Screwfix Select

shurley the biggest issue here is
    the thinner boards from a shed would possibly double the instilation time

another point to note they dont stop at 2.4m or 3m they keep going 3.3m 3.6m 3.9m ect

timber yards can open earlier 07.30 in some areas but typicaly 8 to 8.30 closing times around 5.00 m-f

saturday most shut at around 12.00

and they know what they are talking about in a wood yard

this is to try and help you understand some of the termanoligy and reason for the difference in sizes

if you want txg flooring to fill a gap off about 20mm deep by 112mm wide thats ex 5x1" THATS WHAT YOU ASK FOR 5x1"txg flooring the act of planing and thicknessing brings it down to 20 by 120mm[5 to 6mm off]producing the tounge removes about another9mm from the area

so the board was 25mmby 126[5x1"]it then became 20mm by120mm plank it then finnishes up at 20mm still by about 120mm but the "coverage"is around 112mm when you slot the tounge and groove together
    they will still possibly refer to it as 120mm txg but the coverage will still be about 112mm

clear as mud eeehhh

big all

11. Geordie Yacker

Geordie Yacker New Member

Thank You everybody for the advice.

I rang my local Travis Perkins today and found them quite helpful. They are open till 12.00 on Saturday and stock 5 different sizes/types of board the guy suggested I bring a sample of my existing board. So looks like it's soreted.

Thanks.

12. big all

big all Screwfix Select

oooooohhhhhhh

travis perkins are so so expensive youll need to negotiate at least a 40%discount otherwise your being ripped off

look in the phone book under "timber merchants"

good luck

13. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

gy,

Travis perkins offer "trade" cash discount cards. These are nomally good for knocking at least 15% of the final price.

But trying to negotiate a bigger discount is always worth a go.