Replacing half a rafter.

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by I’mNotABuilder., Oct 18, 2021.

1. I’mNotABuilder.

I’mNotABuilder. New Member

D021E489-B8A7-402D-94A1-ED7457316BCF.jpeg A2876D44-36A3-4643-9FAB-4A79F454A0C7.jpeg D021E489-B8A7-402D-94A1-ED7457316BCF.jpeg So I’ve got a 7x2 beam about 15 foot long thats been previously repaired for rot with a Frankenstein like bit of metalwork - see the picture, but the rot has progressed along and I’m very reluctant to replace the whole thing as it’s notched into the walls and I can’t support it from below with a pillar as it’s over the living room. It’s had an inch by a yard notch cut out of it for a massive piece of fireplace slate so I think I have to go back about 5 foot for full thickness. I could sister it but does anybody know if I shouldn’t try to cut out the offending section and marry it with a steel plate either side, about 6” x 24” with through bolts or is that mental thinking?
    it’s about 2” from the wall it spans.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just coach screw and bolt a new piece alongside with a four foot overlap to sit on the outside wall. By the way it's a joist, not a rafter.

I’mNotABuilder. likes this.
  3. I’mNotABuilder.

I’mNotABuilder. New Member

Yeah Just sister it then
    Joist not rafter, you can tell I’m not a builder innit :-D