Replacing Old Faulty Bulldog TRV

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Darrell Whittaker, Oct 12, 2018.

1. I Have a 13/14 year old Bulldog TRV that is constantly hot when switched on. I have swopped the top section with another and confirm that the thermostatic section is faulty. Do i have to replace it with another bulldog TRV, and if so which newer models compatable or can i get a different top section such as the Danfoss range? I am not very handy with DIY and I cannot afford to get a plumber in to replace the whole fitting.
    thanks
    darrell

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I suspect tops and bodies are not interchangeable.
    Replace whole unit with new good one.(Drayton ?)
    You are not good at DIY 'cos you don't practice enough.;)
    You cant afford a plumber 'cos you didn't pay attention in school...:D....
    On the other hand why would you need a plumber as everything they do can be learnt in about 2 days...:cool:

Rs

Dam0n and Heat like this.
  3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Your only real chance of fixing your issue is to replace the entire valve.

Ive chosen to ignore the sparks as he knows damn well its three days

Heat and seneca like this.
  4. retiredsparks

Yes, but 3 days with late starts, early finishes and 2 hour lunch breaks...:p
    Rs

Dave does Gas likes this.
  5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

The Bulldog valve body is faulty.
    For some reason that happens some of the Peglers Bulldog and Terrier TRVs bodies.
    Both are interchangeable, but I would just buy another Bulldog valve.
    Coincidently I was at one an hour ago with same problem.
    Most 15mm TRVs that have the deeper pipe distance will swap over without replacing nuts and olives. But I would use paste on the pipe olive.

6. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I want the job that gets me a wife with big whatsmecallits. Even if that does mean I do boring electrics. ;)

I notice the animated electrician does speak similar to actual electricians. :p

retiredsparks likes this.
  7. thanks for all the replies ( i think?). I emailed a seller of the 2nd generation bulldog trv's and they said they are not compatable with the older versions. I need a definite confirmation that they work before i buy a replacement as i cannot afford to waste any money.
    darrell

8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

If you are going to replace the entire valve, then there are only 2 differences in ordinary TRVs - the finish (chrome type or a nickel finish)
    and the 15mm body type for distance for the pipe and tail.
    I would think the new Bulldog valve will have compatible body to suit the nuts and olives distance.

9. could people please reaf the Fuc#### thread properly I DO not want to replace the whole valve! i want to know if i can simply replace the faulty removeable top section from someone who has some real knowledge of this and not people making assertions and claims without any real knowledge. i thought the whole point of the forum was to get accurate advice and not just assertions and claims.

10. retiredsparks

I think it sounds like Rob Newman (Baddiel-Newman )....
    Rs

11. retiredsparks

Darrell, may I point out to you that we give of our professional advice freely on here.
    You have been advised by Heat of some possibilities.
    Heat gave you best advice.
    Now you are taking a rude attitude.
    Why didn't you consult the tech dept of the manufacturers ?
    I doubt you will get any further advice from here.
    RS

Heat likes this.
  12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

We did read your posts properly.
    You didn’t read the replies properly.
    According to you, a seller of the new valves told you the new heads are not compatible with the old valves, so what are you planning on doing to fix your valve if you are not going to replace the entire valve? o_O
    Good luck trying to compare a different brand.

retiredsparks likes this.