Replacing old for new thermostat

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Lufcdjk, Sep 12, 2018 at 7:10 PM.

1. Lufcdjk

Lufcdjk New Member

Hi all

I have a issue with my thermostat.

I have had the walls plastered and took the old thermostat of the wall .. it was digital with programming on but old and dirty so wanted to just replace it.

The problem is I thought it was easy enough to just get a new one..

I threw the old one away and now I really am confused as to what I can put back on

I have bought just a normal dial thermostat but it's not talking to the boiler..

I have 3 wires and I assumed they were neutral live and earth .. HOWEVER all 3 wires are LIVE ...i have opened the front ofntbe boiler and detached the electric feed and all 3 wires go dead when I do this.

Please can anyone help me.??

2. Allsorts

Allsorts Active Member

Photo of the wires, please.

What was the make & model of the old stat - the one you threw away?

What tells you the wires are 'live' - what are you using?

Summat strange goin' on.

What kind of boiler do you have - is there a hot cylinder? Motorised valves?

3. Lufcdjk

Lufcdjk New Member

4. Lufcdjk

Lufcdjk New Member

It's a Worcester bosh junior 24i

I didn't keep the old stat so don't know the make

I'm using a electricians screwdriver when I check the wires.. all 3 light up as live

The wire is a normal 6mm square wire and this wire does not come from the boiler .. it must be connected further down the line.

5. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Neutral with light one of those screwdrivers sometimes. Really should not be using one as useless for the purpose..

Lufcdjk likes this.
  6. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

I made a video of how to upload pics. Warning.. Im terrible at making how tos. You need to watch full screen or you won't see all the icons... Picture will help

7. Lufcdjk

Lufcdjk New Member

I'm on android .. I don't have that option .. this so frustrating

8. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

I'm android to. Just get the imgur app and away you go

9. Allsorts

Allsorts Active Member

This is a combi boiler? So no hot cylinder and no valves?

If so, this stat wire should be going back to the boiler.

To post photos, you need to get them to below 2MP in size. Lots of ways - try a Google.