Replacing PCB on Glow Worm 12hxi boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by kipperdog, Jun 12, 2019 at 10:51 AM.

1. kipperdog

kipperdog New Member

Hello,

My Glow Worm 12hxi boiler needs a new PCB. If I bought a reconditioned one is it a straightforward job to replace it myself? If so, are there any things to look out for? Apart from isolating the boiler of course ;) I'm assuming it's simply a case of disconnecting all the connectors from the old and plugging into the new.

Thank you

2. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

5 Questions-Is the boiler currently working ? who diagnosed the fault ? which pcb is in question ? when was it serviced (not safety checked) ? how much have you been quoted to complete this repair ?

TT:D

3. kipperdog

kipperdog New Member

Thanks for the reply TT.

1. No, but I can get it working temporarily by blowing a hot hair dryer on the PCB
    2. My plumber has suggested it may need a new PCB (he replaced the thermistor last year when it was playing up but it has continued to have problems firing up after I've turned off the mains power for other DIY jobs)
    3. PCB 2000802731
    4. Serviced towards the end of last year
    5. No quotes yet but expect it to be something like £250-300 by a plumber/engineer using a new PCB

I've done some research and could try replacing a certain capacitor on the PCB (which looks like a common issue) for a few quid or could buy a reconditioned PCB for around £50.

I'd rather attempt to replace the PCB with a reconditioned one myself (and save £200) which I assume would be easier for a competent DIYer rather than getting into replacing capacitors...

Thanks again :)

4. kipperdog

kipperdog New Member

Hoping to get some pointers/tips on replacing the PCB on my Glow Worm myself...

Is it as straightforward as unplugging all the connectors and hooking them up to the new one (a reconditioned PCB)?

Or not?

Cheers

5. The Teach

Pcb's can go wrong for a few reasons,seems you have done some research.

That main pcb does not need any setting up,just ensure the plugs go to the correct locations ;)

6. kipperdog

kipperdog New Member

Thanks TT – your help is much appreciated

7. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Active Member

When I worked in air conditioning we always replaced PCB's with rubber gloves on to avoid leaving any grease on them. Although I was an apprentice at the time and the guy I worked for was a bit of an anorak so may be unnecessary.

8. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

He was probably wearing gloves to try and avoid statitic getting transferred to the pcb,which can damage them.

9. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Active Member

Yeah you're right! it was years ago now but I know he used to wear them without fail

10. kipperdog

kipperdog New Member

I'll be wearing wellies as well

11. just pumps

just pumps Active Member

Does the outer case create a seal on these boilers guy`s, is it a gsr only job?

The Teach likes this.
  12. The Teach

Always a good question,the hxi has an outer decorative case.The main pcb enclosure can be accessed by removing the decorative case only,then undo a drop down panel to reveal the main pcb all via torx type screws all very british.

TT:D