Replacing Popup Waste

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Carl Spiby, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

I have an Ideal Standard Studio washbasin (E1080) and I want to replace the popup waste as the chrome has become worm and chipped, do I have to replace it with the exact waste intended for this sink (a962991aa) or can I just use any of the other universal popup waste's that Ideal Standard sell?

Thanks

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

No idea of your basin design, but there are wastes with slotted holes in the side suitable for basins that have built in overflow.
    For basins without an overflow you need ideally a solid waste fitting.
    You could also consider forgetting about the pop up waste and just fit a Clicker waste. Just put some clear silicone in the hole in back of tap once you remove the pop up rod and linkage.
    Don’t get me wrong, - Clicker wastes wont last forever, but might be handy for you.

3. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

I've managed to remove the old waste with the pedestal still attached.

Should I just use plumbers mate top side and underneath when I install the new one?

There won't be enough thread for a basin mate.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

There should be a washer on the underside of basin / to waste fitting. And yes ,you could use plumbers mait as well.

5. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

What should I bed the actual plug into? The old one had a plastic collar but it's a bit buggered now.

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Bed the plug ? The plug is the bit that stops water draining out .if you mean the top half of the waste fitting/ to basin outlet ,yes bed it on mait ,or silicone ,either will do.

7. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

Yes that's what I meant, thanks.

8. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

I received the plug and I have this rubber piece, does this go under between the plug and ceramic on the top side?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is that rubber ? Looks metallic. Post pics of the whole waste fitting please. The washer show would appear to go below the basin ,between the waste fitting and underside of basin outlet.

10. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

[​IMG]

Its definately rubber, the white one is foam.

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The foam one goes on top of basin,then the top half of the waste fitting goes thru it and the basin. So it seals in between the underside of the waste fitting and the basin. The rubber one should sit on top of the other half of the waste fitting ,and it has to go the correct way up. It should sit on and slightly overlap the edge of the waste fitting quite a snug fit.
    Before Assembly / fitting ,wrap PTFE tape around the thread of the fitting . Once you fit the top half thru the basin, take a look from below. There will be quite a gap around the waste fitting and the hole of the basin. At that stage apply plumbers mait or silicone to fill the gap. Then screw up the bottom half of the waste.

Carl Spiby likes this.
  12. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

I got the sink waste in and no leaks from there but the plastic trap.doesnt make a good contact with the bottom of the new waste, do I just double up on o-rings so that it does?

13. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

14. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

There's just less thread on the new one.

15. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member