Replacing radiators - which type?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chris_h, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Chris_h

Chris_h New Member

Hello All

I have about 3 radiators upstairs which are single panel types, which don't get hot as the other radiators in the house. The radiator TRV'S are all open max, but the rooms just don't feel warm enough.

The rooms are 4 x 4m with 2,4m high ceilings. Radiators appear to be metric sized, 1200mm x 600mm.

In addition, the piping around the central heating pump sounds like someone is sucking the water through with a straw. I though it was air in the pump, but none escaped when i bled it.

I have come to the conclusion the radiators should be replaced, but I might need to address the noises coming from the cylinder cupboard / pump area. Perhaps it is blocked pipes? some advice would be great.

Anyway - I don't know the difference between the radiator types. there are K1'S K2'S, P+ and I think there are some others. Could anyone give me some sound advice on which radiators to put in these rooms?

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

If the pump is making a noise there is a fair chance that it is the cause of your poor heating. I would personally replace the pump first and then ballance the system. It may also pay you to have the system cleaned out either by means of a power flush, which in my personal experiance is the most efficient way if its done correctly or you could do it by adding chemicals and leaving for a prescribed period then flusshing through with fresh water then adding an inhibitor.

With regard to the radiators the codes you are quoting differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, a SP is a single panel, a K1 is twin panel with no convector veins and a K2 is the big beasty.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. Chris_h

Chris_h New Member

Some sound Advice - I will look into changing the pump and a chemical clean. And thanks for the diagram - very helful

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Do you have a magnetic filter installed? If not, they are a worthwhile investment and will help with the cleaning process. Under £100 and a 30minute task - maybe an hour for a DIY installer. Do that before changing the pump - as te pump may just be clogged.

Drain down, and if you want to, take each radiator off and flush with water. Install a Magnaclean, fill system and check for leaks. Then use the Magnaclean to add cleaning chemicals. Start it running, regularly check the filter, and once teh chemicals have done their job, drain down, flush and refill, this time adding inhibitor.

Two of my bedrooms, each about 3.6 m square with uninsulated cavity wall are fitted with K1 radiators about 1200x600 and they are perfectly adequate. Your problem is probably that you are not getting sufficient hot water there and partial blockage is one possibility.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Magnaclean Pro 2 among the best magnetic filter available.

Sentinel X400 cleaner can be left in for 3-4 weeks without affecting system.