Replacing single 13a plug in oven with 16a fixed wire on 32a dedicated circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Joshua Deery, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Joshua Deery

Joshua Deery New Member

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for your help.

This is my current setup:
    32a MCB to 45a CCU with 6mm^2 wiring (no additional socket at CCU)
    6mm^2 wiring to two separate sockets behind kitchen units (one for gas hob ignition one for 13a plug in oven, nothing else on circuit)

My new oven is 3640W so 15.82a meaning a plug would be unacceptable.

My plan is to replace one socket with cooker outlet plate and run 2.5mm2 heat resistant flex between it and the oven. I'm conscious this is rated for 25a, so if the oven faulted could this in effect become the fuse if the fault didn't trip the MCB? Do I need to use 4mm^2 to connect the oven to the cooker outlet plate to avoid this being an issue. I don't want to swap MCB to a lower amp rating!

Having looked at part P post 2013 I am not creating a new cuircuit so this isn't notifiable as the kitchen isn't a special area anymore (sorry if I am getting the specific language wrong). This shouldn't be harder that replacing other sockets around the house, which I have done to add USB chargers in living room and bedrooms.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

2. fire

fire Well-Known Member

What? Maybe you should not have placed the 13Amp plug in the oven in the first place, replacing it for the same would be 13Amp plug murder... lol

Why not hookup your oven with 4mm2 T&E and add the ignition circuit on the 13Amp plug using 1.5mm2 heat resistant flex and you are done.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

What you're proposing to do all sounds ok.

4. Joshua Deery

Joshua Deery New Member

Great, thank you.
    *plugin!!

Ignition curcuit is already in situ (not being replaced) and uses 1.5mm at the moment - it has been fine for at least two years (since I moved in) but is there a way to check whether the wire is heat resistant by looking it/a code on wire?

Thanks again.

5. fire

fire Well-Known Member

If it is not the cheap ****** eBay purchased wire yea, look on the wire for markings, you should see conformity writing BSXXXX type thing, take that number and enter it into google e.g. BS-6500 or something like this.

Not every flex has this but if you find it on the cable life is much simpler when finding out if it is or not

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Collapsed-house-in-Clacto1.jpg

Joe95 likes this.
  7. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Joe95 likes this.
  8. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

As a fixed load it only needs to be suitable for fault protecftion as well as supplying the load - it cannot overload.

9. Joshua Deery

Joshua Deery New Member

Does this mean I can run 2.5mm flex even with a 32a MCB?

10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Yes. It's a fixed load, so cannot overload the cable. The 32amp MCB will provide fault protection still.